Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Friday - Passing a Legend

11.0k 55:03. HR Avg 144 Max 153 Avg Pace 5:03
Course: Gap Cycle Path.
Start Time: 5:00 pm Temp 24C.
Session Type: Easy Run

My Wife and Delta left for the Sunshine Coast for a week-end dance Eisteddfod mid afternnon , so I had to leave work early to look after Kewell as Ducky and Dory were also going to be at dance classes. So it looked like I wouldn't get a run in tonight. But Ducky's dance class was off, so I had the chance to go for a run.

I was just going to take it easy again and started out that way. At around 2k I saw a runner up ahead on the path and I was catching up to him even at my easy pace. When I got a little closer, I realised it was John Ribot (former Australian Rugby League player, Bronco's and Storm CEO and current Qld Roar Chairman) so of course I had to be running at a respectable pace when I overtook him. This sort of moved me up a gear and as I was not getting any niggles from my leg kept the effort up for the rest of the run. So I am very encouraged by the run and I have pulled up Ok afterwards.

As for John Ribot, I actually played with him in a team when I was in primary school. It was a Brisbane representative under 6 stone team (if anyone can remember what a stone is?) and I was a hooker and he played in the second row. Out of that team, he was the only one to ever go on and do anything worthwhile in rugby league. His kids went to the same primary school as mine and his daughter went to the same dance school also and she was in the car pool for pick ups.

Today was also cross country day at the high school for the three girls. Ducky had been doing a few 3k runs over the last month in preparation but the others where relying on their dance classes for fitness. Delta surprised everyone and came 2nd in the grade 8 girls. Dory tried her heart out for 11th in grade10 girls and Ducky manged 4th in grade 11 girls. It was a sweltering 30C when they ran so it would not have been easy.

6 Comments:

  • At Sat May 05, 07:05:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Great that you got the run in! I played in school with Steve Mortimer a couple of times. I remember getting flattened by a tackle around the ankles.

    Good running also from your girls. Are there zone and state competition for them as well?

     
  • At Sat May 05, 07:40:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    John Ribot - I'm impressed!

    Great work there from the girls.

    PS Sometimes I still think in stones and pounds ... and shillings and pence ;-)

     
  • At Sat May 05, 09:32:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    I know of John Ribot. The last time I watch a game of league he was still playing. I also remember those under six stone teams. Once I remember being just over six stone and made to run around the oval come back and weigh myself till I was just under and could try out for the team.

     
  • At Sun May 06, 04:13:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Didn't John Ribot at one time have a fancy Gallic sounding attachment to his surname

     
  • At Mon May 07, 10:42:00 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i played soccer with the dixie chicks (nice girls). sigh. i think i could beat them in a race.

     
  • At Mon May 07, 07:33:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    What a talented family you have, RS! Great effort by the girls....30 degrees!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home