Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Moday - The Bigger Picture

9.5k 53:58. HR Avg 143 Max 151 Avg Pace 4:54
Course: Gap Cycle Path.
Start Time: 5:05 pm Temp 20C.
Session Type: Easy Run

I still can't seem to shake off this cold completely. Yesterday I would have only rated myself at 90% and today I am back up to 95%. So tonight I just wanted to take it easy which I managed to do.

Since I picked up the cold, I have stopped focusing so much on Canberra and started looking more at the big picture. The cooler weather has also made me realise had hard it is training over summer for a marathon and that in truth I will be in a much better position to run a faster time at the Gold Coast in 13 weeks than I will in Canberra next week.

Still, hopefully I can shake this cold completely this week, and on Sunday put in a top effort based on the training I have done so far.

6 Comments:

  • At Tue Apr 10, 09:02:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    So true. I found the conditions on Sunday morning close to perfect. How good is it to finish a run not totally drenched in sweat!

    Hope the next day or two sees the end of that cold of yours.

     
  • At Tue Apr 10, 09:06:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Plenty of time for that last 5%.

    I am hoping your cold will be gone in the next couple of days and you can breathe easy. Forget GC until after Sunday.

     
  • At Tue Apr 10, 09:37:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Stick with Canberra focus RS - you've done the work...as you would advise others, its the big volume and quality sessions you have done up until now that will benefit you on Sunday. This has been your biggest volume build up hasn't it? a little cold won't take that away from you.
    Don't chicken out on us now - go for it!! Best wishes for a great run Sunday.

     
  • At Tue Apr 10, 10:19:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Being in the northern hemisphere my marathon on Sunday comes after a long period of running in cold weather.

    I do agree that it is a better prep than training in the heat, but you will have the benefit of being hardened somewhat and the cooler race day temperatures wont hurt your run on the day.

    If it wasn't for that lingering cold. It's bloody near impossible to come to the line after months of training being 100% fit. That is the key I reckon, but hard to achieve.

    Anyway Robert I'm sure you'll do your best with it. Have a good run.

     
  • At Tue Apr 10, 04:05:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Don't worry Robert Song, once you are in the crowd at the start line you will feel 200%. The gun will go off and you will be away, trying to restrain yourself to run at your planned pace to achieve your goal.

     
  • At Tue Apr 10, 06:51:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    My money's on you running up to, or even exceeding your expectations on Sunday Graham.

    JD

     

Post a Comment

<< Home