Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Doh!

Last night I went out for my last training run before Canberra. As last week was such a light week I thought my normal run into the city would be OK at around MP.
The run was going well. I got to half way on just over 33 minutes. I was going easily and feeling good. Then between the end of the floating walk way and the Sydney Street ferry, I felt a a twinge in my left hamstring. I thought that's not good. The next step it was more than just a twinge. The next step I thought maybe I should stop. Then the next step I knew I have to stop and I did and that folks was the end of my marathon campaign. I did some stretches. Maybe it was just a cramp. I started off again but after only a few paces, I knew it was gone. Damn. damn. Damn.

It was a long long 35 minute walk back to work. In that time, I mulled over how this could have happened. There was no warning. I wasn't putting in an extra effort. Why now?? By the end I had pretty much reconciled my disappointment and accepted my fate.

Maybe it would be better in the morning. Well it is now Thursday and it is no better and I can definitely feel the injured muscle in my hamstring.

As much as I would have liked to have been part of the whole atmosphere of Canberra, it makes no sense money wise to make the trip. So I have cancelled the reservation at the Rydges , cancelled the flights (for which I get a credit) and will be cooling my heels and hammie in Brisbane. I also said after trying to do GC last year when injured that I would not do that again and I am sticking to my experience from then.

In a strange way, it has made me feel more determined to nail a marathon in the next couple of years. But I won't do that running an early autumn race like Canberra whilst training in Brisbane. Must be a winter or spring.

But then the next minute, I am thinking why am I doing this and why don't I just run for fun?

As you can tell I am pretty up and down at the moment but I am getting there.

All the best to those who have made it to the start line. That is an achievement of its own. I wil be thinking about you on the day.

17 Comments:

  • At Fri Apr 13, 07:08:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    oh bugger! ... so sorry to read this .... looking forward to gold coast now

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 08:52:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Nooooooooooooooo :-(

    I don't believe it. I am lost for words. Bugger bugger bugger.

    I was just making a list of names for dinner and of course yours featured prominantly. And yesterday I spoke to Vera and she was so looking forward to talking Womad with you at lunch on Sunday.

    We will all be thinking about you too. I won't seem the same :(

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 08:54:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    That should same 'it' won't seem the same. Unfortunately for everyone else 'I' will still seem the same.

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 08:55:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    And THAT should have said ...

    That should have said "it won't seem the same."

    See what your news has done to me!

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 09:13:00 am AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! I was so looking forward to seeing you in Canberra Robert Song. I was so sure you were going to have such a good race.

    Still plenty of time until GC and loads of time for Sydney.

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 10:55:00 am AEST, Blogger allrounder said…

    rats...hope it gets better soon and you can then run for the fun of it...

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 11:19:00 am AEST, Blogger plu said…

    At 2:00am this morning I checked in and all was good and I thought great and now I read this.

    Not much to say except I know you will keep running.

    cheers PLu

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 11:35:00 am AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    Oh damn! I'm really sorry to hear (read) this. Don't let it get you down, these things happen to everyone. Not always with such crappy timing though.

    Six'ish weeks of TLC, cross training, physio/massage and you'll be off like a rocket. Water running and get on a bike it what people were telling me when I had a hami tear late last year.

    We'll miss your cheery face in Canberra. Maybe we'll all have to have an extra post race drink to make up for your absence.

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 12:27:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    That is absolutely terrible news. You seemed to be in good shape and well-primed for this. There is no way of knowing how or why it happened. I had a calf muscle go on me in exactly the same way a couple of years ago. That was afew week after a marathon I think. I guess the cumulative load of training and everything just mounts up and bang. As Plu says, words are of no real consolation to you, but it is good to hear you sounding positive and accepting and looking forwards to what to do next. The first things is to get the hamstring right, I suppose.

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 04:45:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Real sorry to hear that Robert. I've come down with a bloody headcold but at least I can race.

    It is what it is and we have to deal with it. But I really understand your comment of "In a strange way, it has made me feel more determined to nail a marathon in the next couple of years."

    Each time life throws shit at us the strong ones just say "all right, you've won this time but I'm gonna come back a kick old fate's bum."

    Don't forget this feeling of disappointment use it to fuel your next campaign.

    You would have noticed that there are not too many football teams that lose a grandfinal twice in a row. They use that feeling of defeat to fuel their winning campaign as you will do.

    At least you have friends like Tesso. I couldn't stop laughing at her posts, above, she is a bloody riot.

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 09:11:00 pm AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    That is *such* a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing you run after watching your long steady preparation. Somehow, I think that you'll take it with a lot more poise than many. Keep thumping the pillow until you can get back out there... :-)

    Gnome

     
  • At Fri Apr 13, 10:17:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Scott, Tesso should said same seem like she did that on purpose to try and lighten the atmosphere;)

    Damn! That is bad news. As others have said, I'm sure you were set for a good race. The only saving grace is that it could have 'gone' during the warm-up on Sunday morning.

    I really don't know how you guys do marathon training in the heat of a Qld summer. The Sydney or Melbourne marathons could suit you better for the proposed nailing.

    It's strange how that injury occurred. There must be a weakness there somewhere which a physio could track down. Once the injury has healed, I've been told that hamstring strengthening exercises are the go.

    I also feel sorry for poor Toasty, who now has to put a big red X through your face on his blog.

    Take care, and hope to see you at the Gold Coast.

     
  • At Sat Apr 14, 09:56:00 am AEST, Blogger TD said…

    Hello from Boston where I have just found out about your news.

    This is so disappointing for you and I have to admire your frankness in the way you wrote about the injury and your positive thoughts for the future.

    My best wishes to you for your recovery and may it be speedy and effective.

     
  • At Sun Apr 15, 04:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    jeez, that's as lousy as it gets, all that hard work and all. You were looking good for a huge race.
    SO, i guess GCM capmaign begins, and you have your highest ever volume already behind you in teh lead up to it...once to are fully recovered of course.
    Best wishes and keep smiling

     
  • At Mon Apr 16, 08:05:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    technically you stood me up for ethiopian! so... you owe me a date (we'll let toasty tag along).

    there'll be another. i'm sorry you weren't there.

     
  • At Thu Apr 19, 01:04:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've been away from blogs too long & have just read your awful news about missing Canberra marathon. I'm so sorry, but there's next year to keep in sight & help keep the spirits up!

    I hope the injury is on the mend & will see you in Canberra nest year!

     
  • At Fri Apr 20, 05:46:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    how's the injury going? will we see you back on blog with some good news soon? take care
    PH

     

Post a Comment

<< Home