Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Work treadmill

6.5k 35:42. HR Avg 137 Max 147
Course: Treadmill.
Start Time: 6:05 pm
Session Type: Kind of easy.

I jumped on the treadmill at work tonight. Set the slope to 4.5 and set off slowly. I was prepared to just sit at around HR 130 which is what I did last night on the road. It took about five minutes to get to 130 but the HR just slowly and steadily increased, so by 30 minutes it was 147. I then put the slope down to 1.0 and my HR dropped to 138 in a matter of minutes. For the final few minutes, I upped the speed to get back up to HR 145 again. I guess the slope makes a big difference. As you maybe able to tell I don't have much experience of treadmill running. In fact I'm sure that tonight is the longest I have ever run on one.

I remember many many years ago being in Bunbury WA for work and the weather was foul, so I went to the hotel gym to do a treadmill session. This was the first time I had ever ran on one. Back then 4m/k pace was a easy run for me, so I quickly got the machine up to that pace. After about 20 seconds I felt in mortal danger. I was so fearful that one wrong placement of my foot and I would be catapulted backwards. So I made an attempt to get to the controls to slow the machine down but I just couldn't run that quickly with a nice stride and put my hand out in front of me in the right position to get the control without feeling I was going to crash. I finally got the courage and co-ordination to do it and I quickly slowed down and then stopped. Shaken my session was over in less than two minutes and I had to go and lie down to recover.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home