Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday Long run No Shaking

31.5k 2:54:37. HR Avg 142 Max 158 Avg Pace 5:31
Course: Bowen Bridge then Gap Cycle.
Start Time: 4:55 am Temp 23C.
Session Type: Long Run

My normal long run course again this morning. No flooding this time. So whilst I was 4 minutes quicker, given the detour last week it is just about the same pace and HR as that run.

Started out today listening to a new addition to the music player. It was the BBC World Music Awards 2006 (CD1 of a double CD). These are always good value compilations and I have all of them going back to 2002. Winners of the 2007 Awards are announced in March.


I then moved on to Freeman by Burning Spear which has been on my player since August last year. I think the reason it stays is because the pace of my long runs seems to be in sync with the rhythms here.


It also continues to grow on me even though the rock guitar parts are a bit overdone. Shows nothing much has changed since all those years ago when Chris Blackwell added the guitar parts to the Wailers "Catch a Fire" album to gain the attention of the western world's ear.
It was then on to La Sandunga by Lila Downs and I finished listening to Tony Allen's recent Afrobeat album Lagos No Shaking. A nice mix of styles for the morning.
So another solid week of training. The next two weeks will more of the same. Then in three weeks time I'll be off to Womadelaide and that is down for an easy week. The week after that is the BRRC Half Marathon Champs which I want to run as a trial for Canberra. That only leaves one more week then for a 30+ long run and then it is taper time. It has all come along so quickly and so much improvement is needed still!
Week Total 88.3K
Feb TD: 219K
YTD: 561.


5 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 18, 06:53:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    It really makes those long runs easier and way more enjoyable when you have some cool music to listen to. Sometimes I am just itching to get out there when I've made an effort to load special stuff (new or something I haven't listened to in ages). And at times it seems a shame to pull up stumps without hearing all of it.

    We don't have many long runs left do we. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing!

     
  • At Sun Feb 18, 07:24:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Another good solid session Robert Song. Layer upon layer, we build for the big day. Eight weeks today.

     
  • At Mon Feb 19, 06:56:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    It seems you are in a good position having come through a solid long run with 8 weeks to go. Sure there is a way to go but there is also plenty in the bank.

     
  • At Mon Feb 19, 09:02:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    It is coming up fast, but still time to ahieve some improvement. Are you doing the half as a race, or a marathon-pace trial?

     
  • At Tue Feb 20, 03:54:00 pm AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    Nice work on the long run. I'm going to have to get some binoculars if I want to keep you in sight at Canberra :-).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home