Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday - Here comes the Flood

32.4k 2:58:44. HR Avg 142 Max 162 Avg Pace 5:32
Course: Home to Bowen Bridge and then Gap Cycle circuit.
Start Time: 4:55 am Temp 23C.
Session Type: Long Run

A big storm passed through in the middle of the night and dumped 38 mm of rain at our house. When I got away at just before 5 this morning, it was rather misty and the humidity was very high. When I ran over Walton Bridge I was impressed with the amount of water in the creek. My long run basically follows the creek to Newmarket along the cycle path. There is a a couple of crossings near Newmarket which don't take much to be flooded and that is certainly how they were when I got to them at the 7.5k mark. I didn't feel like wading through knee high water for 20 meters and getting my feet soaking so early in the run, so took the 450m detour. So I made my turn around at Bowen Bridge in 70:12 (HR135) and did the return in 71:20 (HR144). By this stage my singlet and shorts were completely saturated and my socks were well on the way. For the final 6.5k on the Gap cycle path, I took off my singlet and with a bit a breeze starting up made that last 35:39 (HR152) a bit more comfortable.

With the detour today it was a longer course by some 900m so it is not quite a comparison but last time I did this on 14th January I was 10 minutes slower.

Week Total: 90.1K
Feb So Far: 131K
Year To Date: 472K

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Feb 12, 10:42:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Dang, I just commented and it kicked me out. So if you get two from me you know why.

    What I was saying ...

    Your talk of Newmarket and flooding reminded me of the good old days when Northey St would go under at the mere mention of rain.

    Its good to hear parts of Brissie got a soaking. Though it must've made for incredibly humid conditions on Sunday morning.

     
  • At Mon Feb 12, 06:00:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dude... if you take the singlet off, you're supposed to whirl it around and throw it to the ladeeezze

     
  • At Mon Feb 12, 09:15:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    We had a good downpour here Saturday night. You might have green grass to look at during the marathon, rather than the brown dusty landscape of recent times.

    Is toasty really that crazy?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home