Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Friday, February 16, 2007

Friday - Let them all talk

9.5k 42:55. HR Avg 152 Max 163 Avg Pace 4:31
Course: Work to Sydney St and Back.
Start Time: 5:15 pm Temp 24C.
Session Type: Tempo Run

Probably the first time this week, I have felt half decent starting out on a run.
Out in 21:28 (HR 146) and back in 21:27 (Hr 157). While I had no trouble keeping the pace steady, the HR is still creeping up in the second half. Ideally I would like to do the return at under HR 150. But I am seeing steady improvement in this session all the same.

I didn't take my music with me today and it is quite a novel feeling without it. About 3k from home, I was running at around HR 157 and was wondering if I was still running aerobically. In these runs I am still trying to not go over Lactate Threshold Level. The idea struck me to take the "Talk Test". Theory being if you can carry out a conversation , you will be aerobic. As I run solo, I don't actually have many conversations while running. So quickly checking that no one was approaching, I started up a conversation with myself. Found I could talk OK which was good but the content was rubbish so I after a brief debate over whether I should continue or not, it was decided I should shut up.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home