Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thursday - Are you gonna go my way ?

14.6k 1:15:26. HR Avg 135 Max 145 Avg Pace 5:10
Course: Work to Riverside and Back.
Start Time: 5:40 pm Temp 24C.
Session Type: Sub 72%MxHR Easy Run

Another easy run tonight. Out in 37:01 (Hr 134) and back in 38:25 (HR136). I was somewhat surprised that it was 1:15 quicker than Tuesday night. I felt I was really just coasting tonight.

There were a few comments about Lactate Threshold from last nights post. Pete, I am sure I am getting my LT down with this easy running even at tonight's level of exertion. When I stop seeing improvement from sessions at less than 82% MaxHr, it will then be time to start on some harder tempo runs and intervals at above LT pace. But that could be 4 - 6 weeks away still. Here is an article I came across recently on Lactate Threshold Training by Lenny Kravitz . I am still in the Increase The Training Volume stage I guess. One great advantage of this slow and steady approach is that it puts far less stress on your legs and the risk of injury is lower than when doing intervals and the like. At my age that is an issue.

6 Comments:

  • At Fri Feb 09, 12:48:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Seems our Lenny is not just a pretty singer. And I notice at the end of the article he's used references from Gary (aka Angry) Anderson and Garth Brooks.

     
  • At Fri Feb 09, 02:08:00 pm AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At Fri Feb 09, 02:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    Nice LT run.
    I read Lenny's article and am now much more knowledgeable about LTT.
    Thanks for the pointer.

    Lenny sure knows a lot about lactate threshold training, but I guess he is "Always on the run" (from LK's Mama Said 1991 Virgin Records)

     
  • At Fri Feb 09, 04:41:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    thanks for the article Graham. love the technical stuff.
    no wonder Kylie, Natalie and others go for him.
    Tess- you can add that song to the CD for us too if you would...ripper

     
  • At Sat Feb 10, 02:24:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Slow and steady does it Robert Song. Even though I am doing a diffent program. I think I am still slow and steady. I am waiting for the fast and steady to kick in.

     
  • At Sun Feb 11, 11:53:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Where's the You Tube clip? It was a good one!

    Interesting article - thanks.

    Regarding injury problems for people 'our age'. So far (touch wood), I've found a very gradual adaptation plan in regards to speedwork seems to be working. Perhaps because it's in combination with lots of 'slow and steady' running on other days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home