Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sing along with the tunes they playing, and now and again you shouting, play mas bacchanal Miss Tourist This is Carnival!

10.0k 44:08. HR Avg 166 Max 176 Avg Pace 4:25
Course: BRRC 10k.
Start Time: 7:00am pm Temp 14C.
Session Type: Race

Had a welcome rest night on Friday. Didn't have to run home from work because I was seeing The Mighty Sparrow at The Powerhouse that night. So I walked the 3k from my work to there and met up with My Wife and took in the carnival fever that engulfed the Powerhouse that night. I put in some valuable aerobic conditioning whilst doing a bit of Jump Up Jump Up but was reluctant to enter a lot of the "wine and grind" that was going on in the audience.



A great night and a once in a lifetime chance to see one of my musical heroes live.

I will still be running home from work again next week so I thought the 25k race at the BRRC today was a bit much to take on, so opted for the 10k instead. As well, it fits better into my new racing plans. I would like to beat my 10k time from last year of 42:00 minutes. So I have targeted the BRRC race on 12th Novemeber which is 9 weeks away as the race to do it in.

It actual looks like I might have to be without a car for much longer as somebody reversed into the family car at the shops on Friday and will have to go in for repair when we get my car back! Doh.

So the main aim of today's race was just to get an idea about where I am, as I have done next to no faster running since June. I was pleasently suprised to be able to go out and do 44:08. My splits were 22:06; 22:02, so I ran a nice even race. At this point, I feel with a good preparation I should be able to pick up the 2 minutes plus that I need.

It was good to catch up with everyone after the race and congratulations on all the bling winners (Tesso, Eddie, Beagle).

5 Comments:

  • At Mon Sept 11, 12:18:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    My Lord, I'm surprised you didn't stay in the Kitchen if you didn't want to join in what looks supsiciously like a horizontal folk dancing session.
    Well done on the 44min/10k time. That's faster than I'll ever do.
    Now if you could just avoid taking the family car out of the driveway, you'll have no more problems...

     
  • At Mon Sept 11, 06:04:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    After hearing about Friday night I'm not suprised you decided to opt for the 10k :-)

     
  • At Mon Sept 11, 07:15:00 pm AEST, Blogger Shane said…

    That was a pretty consistent race there, good going. Im sure you will knock those 2 mins off in Nov now that you have set your sights.

    We have probably crossed paths a thousand times at West end, maybe next time we will formally meet.

    Thanks very much for you comments aswell :)

     
  • At Mon Sept 11, 09:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Sounds like a good night.

    The 44+ looked pretty easy; I'm sure you'll find that 2 minutes by November.

     
  • At Tue Sept 12, 09:40:00 am AEST, Blogger TD said…

    Yes, great effort on the 44 and very consistent running. The "wine and grind" at the Powerhouse sounds like great fun. Wished I could have been there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home