Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Net slow, Runs easy

It have found it hard to blog since the weekend. Someone used up our last 20% of our monthly available allowance over two days on the weekend, so we are speed limited to 28Kps. I find this speed frustrating and have given up in disgust so far this week. But thought I should persist tonight. So here it is.

It looks like I will be without my car for at least two weeks so I will be racking up some Ks in this time. My Wife has been dropping me at work in the mornings and I have been running home in the evening. It is about 14.6K.

Well on Monday night, what do you think happens? For the first time in what seems ages it is raining! Not just a drizzle but a big storm front rolled in late afternoon and it looked like it was going to be a very wet run home. But tracking it on the BOM radar showed if I waited 30 minutes, the worst of it would be over. The only down side to this was that I would have to run in the dark along the bike path or else run by the road which I hate. I elected to go for the dark and it turned out not too bad. As well I hardly got wet at all as the rain passed.

Running home from work entails crossing four major roads before getting to Bowen Bridge. This is a bit over 2ks and it took me 15 minutes! From there it is the return course where I have been running my long runs on Sunday. The only difference is that on a Sunday morning you don't have to stop to cross Kelvin Grove Rd but it can take up to 2 minutes for the signal to cross at peak hour. On Monday in the dark the run from Bowen Bridge took 70:28 and it measured just over 12.5K.

I have now done this again on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The stats:

Mon 85:34 BB to home 70:28 (HR 134 Pace 5:36).
Tue 82:17 BB to home 69:39 (HR 138 Pace 5:32).
Wed 79:20 BB to home 68:30 (HR 136 Pace 5:28).


Some anwers to questions.
Tesso
Number of CDs not yet litened to?
I stopped counting when I got to 50. (Sigh). Luckily I put 9 on my new music player, and I have classified them as listened to even though some are only once so far. Too much music, too little time.

Allrounder
What sort of snake was it?
A Carpet Python but technically Morelia Spilota. Relatively harmless unless you are a mouse, rat or possum.

IHateToast.
After the rain this week, I have you down for the first bout of wrestling. My girls will go tag team against you. If you beat them, then Kewell's groupies will be the second bout.

5 Comments:

  • At Thu Aug 31, 07:36:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    HA! Great to hear someone else out there suffering the fight of who used up all the monthly allowance! My kids are great at it - they don't think itunes and using MS Messanger etc is actually 'downloading'.....

     
  • At Thu Aug 31, 09:07:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Might be time to bite the bullet and go unlimited.

    Bad timing with the rain, you have me to blame. Last week I was talking on the phone to the GBH team I'm crewing for at Gh and they wondered what would happen if it rained. My response was "it hasn't rained all year, why would it start now".

    Your 50 unlistened makes me feel way better about my one or two :-)

     
  • At Thu Aug 31, 05:51:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good rain would have been nice for the garden, RS. Poor plants!

    You'll certainly clock up a few miles running home each night...be careful on the roads in the dark.

     
  • At Fri Sept 01, 10:18:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    It looked like a brown snake - I saw one up at the Cotter earlier this year.

    You're doing well to run home from work - that's quite a long run!

     
  • At Sat Sept 02, 06:59:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Alright count me in on the mud wrestling. I already have the tights for it!!!!!

    I think we should go for the one where everyone starts in the ring and the winner is the last one remaining. We also need to come up with some real cool names.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home