Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Friday, August 25, 2006

Freaky Friday

Woke up this morning to find a dense fog over the suburb and apparently the rest of Brisbane. This didn't really burn off till about 8:15 am in The Gap.

Kewell was having his sports day at school and the first events were what are called the Mini-marathon. For his grade 3, this is about 500m. So I went up to the school and watched him compete. The start is very frantic and he got jostled severly so was 15m behind the leaders after only 30m. But he stuck with it an ended up finishing strongly for 6th.

I then headed off to work. At a set of lights just close to work, I had the misfortune of being hit side on by a car that failed to stop at the red light at an intersection. He mistook the green turn left arrow for a go and ploughed into me. Luckily I'm OK and even though the driver's side front and back doors were pushed in a fair way, I could still drive the car.

I just didn't feel like going out for a run at the end of the day and will go out tomorrow morning instead. This may have been a great move. Today was another warm day but a hot, dry westerly change came through late in the afternoon and set the temperatures soaring. Here are the readings for Brisbane City from the BOM website.

-------- Temp--Wind
07:00pm 27.5 W 11 k/hr
06:30pm 27.1 W 9 k/hr
06:00pm 28.0 W 11 k/hr
05:56pm 27.9 W 11 k/hr
05:30pm 22.8 CALM 0
05:00pm 24.3 E 9 k/hr
04:30pm 25.1 ENE 13 k/hr

It is mind boggling to think that it is still winter and I could have been running in 28C temperatures at 6 o'clock at night!

6 Comments:

  • At Sat Aug 26, 09:03:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Whew! Glad you are okay after the accident, a pain about the car though.

    I reckon you can count on one hand the number of cold days we had this winter. Summer could be a killer.

    Congrats to Kewell. Hope he didn't let any girls beat him ;-)

     
  • At Sat Aug 26, 09:34:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    I'll give you some of the 9C we had here yesterday.

    Glad you're OK. Where do I sign up for a 500m mini-marathon?

    By the way, the Jamie Lee Curtis version of Freaky Friday was a good laugh.

     
  • At Sat Aug 26, 12:53:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Hope all is well - a bit unnerving by the sound of it - sounds like advanced driving skills were irrelevant if someone just goes through a red. Maybe buy a lottery ticket...
    Brisbane 8 months of the year has brilliant weather. I try to avoid it during February, however.

     
  • At Sat Aug 26, 02:39:00 pm AEST, Blogger TD said…

    Yep, glad you got through okay from the prang. Sounded scary though.

    I was talking to my mum in Brissie who told me you guys were expecting 29C. Isn't that a bit bizarre even by Brisbane standards? Even Canberra is a little unseasonaly warm, although Ewen is right, too. Still some colds ones.

     
  • At Sat Aug 26, 06:12:00 pm AEST, Blogger Shane said…

    Wow, glad you are alright from the accident.

    I couldn't believe how hot it was last night when I went for a run either, probably a good decision to sit it out. I agree with Tesso, it looks as though will be a hot one this summer.

    Well done to your young bloke aswell :)

     
  • At Sat Aug 26, 08:51:00 pm AEST, Blogger owen said…

    Glad to hear your ok! I wouldn't have felt like a run after that either! Congrats to the mini-marathoner too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home