Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday Last Long Run 20miles @ HR 157 Pace 4:51

32.2k 2:36:35. HR Avg 157 Max 167 Avg Pace 4:51
Course: BRRC 20 mile.
Start Time: 6:30 am Temp 18C.
Session Type: Long Run

Last long run before the Marathon. I chose to do the BRRC 20 mile event at West End as it is nice to have accurate K markers and get a really good handle on your pacing. Not that I was going to be racing this morning. Plan was just to take it out as a normal long run and then speed up to marathon pace towards the end of the run.

It was overcast at the start but the lovely rain we got yesterday seemed to be gone. But it was a very balmy 18C at 6:30am. I quickly settled into a rhthym around 4:52 pace and started grinding out the laps. After about a hour, a wind picked up and running up river became a lot more unpleasent.

Clairie popped up on the course with her usual cheery encouragement. Pity she didn't tackle Eddie as that was the only way I was going to catch up with him today (again).

Near the end of the third lap, I was confronted by the Run for Research fun runners who must have started at 8:00 up at Orleigh Park. Their course and ours was now overlapping. I quite enjoyed this, as I was running much faster then the pack at this stage and was continually passing people. They also seemed to break the headwind to a degree as well. By co-incidence, my music at this point changed to Tex-Mex accordian player Flaco Jimenez and it added to the carnival nature of the run. Before this I had been listening to the Johnny Cash "America IV: The Man Comes Around". It is a great album, the last he released before he died but must be listened to early in a long run.

Picked up the pace to 4:50 for the 4th and 5th laps. The wind was getting quite strong now. Finally the last lap. I had a GU and put the foot on the accelerator but didn't get much response. In fact no response. All I could manage was to keep going along at my current pace. The Heart Rate went up a little though so at least there was some evidence of working harder. I was pretty relieved when I got to the finish line. It would have been a struggle going another 10k today.

I am more than happy with the over all pace of the run but a bit dissapointed I couldn't step up at the end. Maybe I am still feeling the effects of the Half from last weekend. Or maybe I shouldn't have got up early yesterday to watch Poland v Ecuador and then stayed up late to watch England v Paraguay till 1 o'clock last night. I wonder if I can put in an annual leave form at work next week to allow me to get through the Group stages?

With three weeks to go, lLast long run done and I am now looking forward to the taper.

Week Ks: 64.3K
MTD Ks: 92.2K
YTD KS: 1,500.0Ks (No rounding, that is the exact figure for the year so far!!)

5 Comments:

  • At Sun June 11, 04:25:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    It was good to share another run with Robert Song. Staying up until one in the morning would have totally shattered me.

     
  • At Sun June 11, 05:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger Hannah said…

    Good to hear your last run went pretty well... I'm sure you'll do fabulously at the Gold Coast!

    Not long now!

     
  • At Sun June 11, 08:41:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Sounds like a few things were out there to break up the monotony of the 20 miler - Clairie, the Run for Researchers, wind. Nice zippy pace for a training run too.

    Guess the boss would get a bit suspicious if you were suddenly sick for a couple of weeks. Maybe you can get a doc's cert that says you have a very bad case of 'World Cup fever' :-)

     
  • At Mon June 12, 05:59:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    For the record...I did tackle Eddie!!! He just picked me up and put me back down and kept on running!!! Must be eating spinach for breaky lunch and tea!!

    You looked like you had just started when I saw you...very good form and evenly paced.

    Bring on the taper now and I am sure you will be delighted with your efforts at Gold Coast. Seeing you out there this morning made me wish I was doing GC Marathon with you....

     
  • At Mon June 12, 07:46:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Nothing to worry about with that run .... throw in the taper and some fine tuning for your race and you will be awesome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home