Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 04, 2006

QLD Half Marathon 1:31:43 @ HR 164 Pace 4:21

21.1k 1:31:43. HR Avg 164 Max 173 Avg Pace 4:21
Course: Qld Half Marathon Doomben.
Start Time: 7:00 am Temp 8 - 15C.
Session Type: Race

This morning the weather was perfect. Luckily the wind that picked up yesterday was gone and a nice cool conditions prevailed for today's race. The Doomben race course is a great starting venue. Lots of toilets (not the port-a-loo variety either), and so no long queues.

The plan today was to go out at 4:25 pace and hopefully get under the 1:33 I did at the Gold Coast last year.

Started out a bit quicker than my plan with a first and second K each being 4:18. By now I had caught up with ILikeToast and was running with him. I could see Eddie a 100m in front of me also. Slowed down a little and got to 5k in 21:52 and was feeling good. The 7th K was 4:30 which was a bit of a surprise, so I lifted the pace and did the next K in 4:19. Seemed to drop ILT about here. I was feeling very comfortable at around this 4:20 pace, so kept it up.

I managed to keep at that pace till the 18K mark and was still feeling good. I could see Eddie was a couple of hundred meters in front of me, so thought I would try upping the pace to the finish and see if I could make some ground on him. Put in a few 4:16 Ks but that was my limit and so didn't get close to him.

In the end my time of 1:31:43 is way above what I thought I would be able to do today and I am very pleased. It has given me a lot of confidence that my Gold Coast goal is achievable.

Splits
5k 21:52 (HR 158)
10k 21:55 (HR 164)
15K 21:38 (HR 165)
20k 21:37 (HR 167)
LastK 4:16 (HR 170)

Thanks to Cirque and Davo (aka CR Cheersquad) for a great effort again out on the course.
Managed to catch up with SpeedyGeoff from Canberra and had a good chat.

It was good to see Hannah so proud and excited about her great PB; Beagle with a great run of 1:26 and witnessing Tesso staring down injury and winning. Bad luck to ILT who had to put the vindaloo in the port-a-loo, I was looking forward to you trying to catching me. And Eddie, you will now have to look over both shoulders in the future because both Clairie and I will be trying to run you down.

7 Comments:

  • At Sun June 04, 08:36:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    I wouldn't have caught you today .... maybe next time. I was gaining about 6 seconds per K over the last 5K so would have got you in about another 40K. Well deserved and you should be very confident going into the GC.

    Better still, you looked relaxed and seemed to be doing it easy all the way through which is also a great sign.

     
  • At Mon June 05, 09:40:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Great run Robert Song!!! Congratulations. I realised every time I ran by you make it look so easy.

    I now have visions of you and Clairie sneaking up behind Eddie with about 20 meters to go in a race, getting either side, grabbing him, lifting him up in the air, and carrying him over the finish line, all the while his legs are still going round and round in a running motion :-)))

     
  • At Mon June 05, 08:41:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    LOL! Tesso has painted an interesting picture. It was great being out there with you Robert Song. The Doomben course mkaes one really feel part of race because there are always lots of people aruond you, whether coming or going.

     
  • At Tue June 06, 09:11:00 am AEST, Blogger miners said…

    Fantastic race result for you G. Especially to improve on a GC made PB.

    Look forward to catching up with you in a few weeks time!

     
  • At Tue June 06, 07:00:00 pm AEST, Blogger speedygeoff said…

    Well done in the half & good luck in the marathon. I was well aware of the (small) margin between us in the half. You did well. We are off home over the next three days, hope to see you down the track.

    speedy(666 on 6/6/6 as in photo)geoff

     
  • At Tue June 06, 08:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Looks like the GC is going to be quite a contest! Now, who do I put my money on??

     
  • At Wed June 07, 01:53:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Great run RobertSong!! Well done.

    You, Eddie and I now need to focus on our training and pick the next race so we can all go for the 90min goal pushing each other........how about Noosa???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home