Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, March 24, 2008

Mixed Bag

It has been a mixed week. Last Sunday night I started getting a very bloated feeling in my stomach and cramping. I guess it was some sort of virus as for the next three days I still had the stomach problems, headaches and lethargy. I slept a lot.

By Thursday I felt recovered enough to resume training but I guess I still wasn't 100% as the times were way down on last weeks.

Thur 20th Mar
11k 54:31 (4:57 HR 152) Last week I did this in 52:19 at HR of 153!

Fri 21 Mar
15.3k 1:21:29 (5:19 HR 145) Last week I did 1:17:27 at HR 145!!!!

Sat 22 Mar
11k 51:57 (4:43 HR 153)

Sun 23 Mar
31.5k 2:58:54 (5:40 HR 136) Last week I did 2:50 at HR 137.

Still managed 68.8k for the week.

Here's hoping this week gets me back on track.

The upside to last week was that as I was lying in bed feeling sorry for myself I decided I would go down to Canberra for the marathon. So I have booked the flights and will go down Saturday and return Wednesday night, so should be able to see a few sights as well as catch up with everyone. I am taking the marathon as just a training run and suspect a time around four hours will be on the cards. Even contemplating making it a Personal Worst and going for something over 4:10.

10 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 24, 10:59:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Well done for making the effort despite your form. I'm sure others there will appreciate your company. And I'm sure you'll have a great run and enjoy yourself.

    Sorry to hear about the lurgy, but what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger so they say.

     
  • At Mon Mar 24, 11:47:00 am AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Yeah! Way to go Robert Song. That's good news. It will be great to have you there. You are certainly in form to do well, even if only for a "training run".

     
  • At Mon Mar 24, 03:07:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grand news to hear you're making the trek to Canberra again.

    Looking forward to catching up with you and hearing all about Womadelaide.

     
  • At Mon Mar 24, 05:50:00 pm AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    You never know, we might even be able to run into each other this time (though hopefully not *during* the run if you're doing 4:xx... :-) )

    Gnome

     
  • At Mon Mar 24, 09:36:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Canberra - yay!!!

    If you aren't planning to race it you could always use it as an 'overrun' and do the 50k ... that way you will not do a PW but a PB :-)

     
  • At Tue Mar 25, 06:43:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    4:13 would make it a nice round 6 minutes per km. Just make sure you don't let Tesso 'lap' you as she finishes the 50k ;)

    It'll be good to see you. After a day of the tourist stuff on Monday, you'll have to pop up to Parly House for Speedygeoff's group session at 5.30!

     
  • At Wed Mar 26, 11:24:00 am AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Way cool! I was just thinking this week that I was disappointed that you weren't going to Canberra - but now you are!

    Now you and Tesso will have been there for my first 3 mara's. Nice elite crew!

    See you there.

     
  • At Tue Apr 01, 05:47:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Robertsong: Never too late to discover new stuff (even if it is old-school). Another band I like, Dropkick Murphys, did a cover of “Hey Little Rich Boy”. So when I heard their other stuff I was hooked. Went out and found "Sham69: TheComplete Collection."

    I especially like their lyrics. For instance:

    You’re A Better Man Than I

    Can you judge a man by the way he wears his hair
    Can you read his mind by the clothes that he wears
    Can you see a fat man by the pattern on his tie

    Then mister you're a better man than I
    Mister you're a better man than I

    Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells
    Is this more important than the stories that he tells
    And call a man a fool if for wealth he doesn't strive

    Then mister you're a better man than I
    Mister you're a better man than I

    Can you condemn a man if your faith he doesn't hold
    Say the colour of his skin is the colour of his soul
    Can you say that men for king and country all must die

    Then mister you're a better man than I
    Mister you're a better man than I

    END
    Thought this was too off topic for CR.
    Best wishes for an enjoyable day in Canberra.

     
  • At Tue Apr 01, 05:49:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Robertsong. Sorry forgot to sign off. It's Ronnie Peters.

     
  • At Sat Apr 05, 06:19:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    At the very, very worst, Robert Song, you could always run with me!!

    Hope to see you there somewhere.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home