Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Music to rule the world by

The training is now back on track and I am at last starting to be able to focus on the Gold Coast.



Mon 25th Feb

4k - Recovery Run with Kewell at about 6:00 pace. Hopefully this will become a feature for Monday as my easy recovery run. It is just the right pace for the boy.



Tues 26th Feb

11.0k 52:33 (4:46 HR 150 80%Max)

Starting to incorporate some upper aerobic runs into the schedule.



Wed 27th Feb

15.3k 1:18:40 (5:08 HR 140 75% Max)



Thu 28th Feb

11.0k 53:30 (4:51 HR 146 78% Max)



Fri 29th Feb

15.3k 1:19:14 (5:10 HR 141 75% Max)



Sat 1st Mar

Rest



Sun 2nd Mar

31.5k 2:53:42 (5:31 HR 139 74% Max)

First run over 30k since Melbourne Marathon in October. Still taking it at an easy pace but the legs had no trouble going the distance or probably more relevant had no problem with the the close to 3 hours on the go.



Week 88.1k



A very solid and pleasing week.



Mon 4th Mar

10 * 200m with 30 seconds rest. At Kewell's school they have started a running club in the mornings from Mon - Thursday. Today was the first session and I anticipated that they would start with some easy laps of the oval so even though my legs were a bit dead from yesterday's long run I agreed with Kewell that I would come along. When we get there, the teacher says the session will be ten laps of the oval in around 60 seconds with 30 seconds rest. Now the lap is probably around 200m but for kids 8 to 11 years it is a pretty tough session. I didn't really want to be running too hard either. The first lap, the kids all shot off too quickly and I trailed well behind but of course they tired so I wasn't far from them at the end. After the rest, they all shot off again and I trailed again but I caught quite a few by the end this time as they tired. And they were all sucking in the air in the rest now big time. I suppose you can imagine where it went from there. As I warmed up the laps got easier for me and harder for them. For the final lap the teacher told them to go flat out but this time I shot to the lead and held it all the way. Seems I can't keep the competitive instincts in check even if it is against a pack of school kids.



The down side was that it was way to hard a session for a recovery day for me.



Tue 5th Mar

7k 40:00 (Easy ) Running club again and Kewell was keen for me to go again but I told him I would only be jogging around the oval today. No fast stuff. We were the first to arrive , so we just started doing some slow laps. As more kids arrived they would join us. After about ten minutes the teachers arrived (different from yesterday). They were happy to let them just jog around. So I basically ran around the oval for 40 minutes with the fifteen kids who turned up. They would drop out for a rest now and again but I just kept going. I think some of them were rather stunned to see someone run for that long and not be the slightest bit puffed.

The recovery day I should have had yesterday!



Wed 6th Mar

15.3k 1:19:08 (5:10 HR 143 77% Max)

It was a bit cooler and made for lovely running conditions.



Thu 7th Mar

Rest - I have felt like I have been fighting off a cold all this week. Delta and Dory both have got it. So decided to rest today. I certainly don't want to be sick for Womadelaide this week end.



I am planning on doing 15k Friday morning before jumping on to the plane to Adelaide with My Wife . Should be grand week-end.





IHateToast

We must live in separate parallel universes. I have no idea about Arrested Development other than as a funk-rap band from the 90s and I can't believe that I would need to explain double live as two LPs in one package of a live concert recording along the the lines of Frampton Comes Alive or in the case of Garth Brooks he even called his double live album Double Live.





I know our election has come and gone but wouldn't it be great if we could have Kevin and Little Johnnie being the inspiration of some great election tunes like they do in the US. Check out these for Obama and Clinton.



7 Comments:

  • At Fri Mar 07, 08:27:00 am AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    Mr song, thank you for the comment on my Mick post. Much appreciated. Keep on rockin'...

     
  • At Fri Mar 07, 08:32:00 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so mathematically it's not double live at all. it's just more live. the act of being live isn't really enhanced.

    by the way, i was right! that was david cross from arrested development. pah!
    http://www.answers.com/topic/yo-la-tengo-1?cat=entertainment
    (scroll down to missy laney).

    and then there is the onion:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27870

    congrats on your first post-melb 30+km run. i'm sure you're running on double legs now.

     
  • At Fri Mar 07, 09:04:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I think you should pick on someone your own size.

    Have fun at Womad. Looks like its going to be darn hot down there.

     
  • At Fri Mar 07, 10:00:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    kicked those kids bottoms...hehe!, think of it as their learning, not your teaching.
    good to see those long runs coming together, as i always say, you're so bloody organised in terms of your overall plan leading up to an event

     
  • At Fri Mar 07, 10:00:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    kicked those kids bottoms...hehe!, think of it as their learning, not your teaching.
    good to see those long runs coming together, as i always say, you're so bloody organised in terms of your overall plan leading up to an event

     
  • At Fri Mar 07, 08:12:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Great Running Robert Song. You must be glad to be running so well again.

    I liked the Obama music.

     
  • At Wed Mar 12, 04:49:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    10 x 200m! I know you saved your best until the last one, but be careful. Ask the teacher to give them just 10 seconds rest ;) A mate of mine badly pulled a hammy racing year 3s at school. Good to see a group of kids having fun with running.

    Your training seems on track. I guess right now you're enjoying all that cool music in warm old Adelaide. Obama Reggaeton gets my vote. The world needs Obama even more than America.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home