Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, March 17, 2008

Womadelaide - a hell of a time

Fri 7th March

15.3k 1:17:49 (5:05 HR 148) a good solid run only soured by a back twinge that hit after about 100m.

Later that morning flew to Adelaide for Womadelaide.

It was another great weekend of music, only slightly spoilt by the Adelaide heatwave. It was actually the dust on the site more than the heat that made it unpleasant for me and especially My Wife who got hayfever from the haze.

Highlights

Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra. I took in both their shows. Each was magnificent. The Satrurday night gig had an extended number where various band members (balafon, guitar, ngoni, synthesiser) traded solos with Toumani's kora. Even the audience got a go with a vocal rhiff! On the Sunday afternoon, they replaced the duelling with an absolute killer dance groove that just went on and on. Sounding more Congolese than Malian, I will always treasure it as one the live music highlights of my life.

As I complete contrast about an hour later on Sunday, Toumani shared a different stage with his cousin Mamadou Diabate for a kora duet which was much more sombre but no less entrancing.



Mavis Staples did here soul/gospel/protest songs to perfection. She was backed by a three piece band (all while guys) who were fantastic. They got to do a long solo which took them from Born on the Bayou, through to some really heavy rock blues a la Cream.

Taraf de Haidouks, a ramshackle collection of middle aged to elderly (and some portly) gypsy musicians, played with the energy and drive of a bunch of teenage punk rockers.

The Black Grace dance company from New Zealand showed great originality and energy in their dance set.

Martin Hayes (Irish fiddler) and Dennis Cahill (American guitarist) played an astonishing set of Irish music that started slow and built to a wild crescendo.

A few Australian acts really caught my ear. Mojo Webb from Brisbane played a very enthusiastic blues set and really got the crowd worked up. On one song he roamed all round the park amongst the crowd while belting out a stunning guitar solo.

Victor Valdes and The Real Mexico Mariachi Band from Sydney were another revelation. He had a great voice and played the Mexican harp expertly.

I was also impressed with the fire show each night by La Compagnie Carabosse. Hundreds of huge candle-pots lit up the eastern side of the gardens. I do like a good fire and all the more impressive given that I thought there was a total fire ban!

I had scheduled to go for a run Monday morning before flying home but the three days of hot weather and completely dessicated me so gave it a miss. It is such a different heat then we have here in Brisbane in summer. Rather than a sauna it is an oven and if you turn the temperature up high enough the oven can be mighty uncomfortable.

2 Comments:

  • At Tue Mar 18, 08:36:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Watching the weather reports morning and night I was wondering how you were getting on down there. Glad the heat didn't cause too many dramas.

    Thanks for the rundown, sounds just amazing. I must get there one year.

     
  • At Thu Mar 20, 11:49:00 am AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    I forgot that you would be down here for Womad. I decided not to go this year for a number of reasons, and wasn't disappointed about my decision until I read your report!

    Thankfully the cool weather is back, so I can run again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home