Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Caution

Sunday
32.2k 2:37:01. HR Avg 155 Max 173 Avg Pace 4:52
Course: BRRC 20 miles.
Start Time: 6:30 am Temp 15C.
Session Type: Long Run

My last long run before GC. There was only a small field for the race today but I settled in with another guy early and ran the first 24k with him. He was chatty to begin with but started to struggle around 22k and finally dropped off. By the time I finished he was nowhere to be seen.

Managed to run a very consistent pace today and again my legs showed little sign of tiredness.

Splits

2.2k 10:37 (134)
7.2k 24:54 (145)
12.2k 24:35 (152)
17.2k 24:13 (155)
22.2k 23:59 (159)
27.2k 24:11 (162)
32.2k 24:30 (166)

Monday

3.0k 18:12. HR Avg 122 Max 137 Avg Pace 6:04
Course: Tilquin St.
Start Time: 5:25 pm Temp 18C.
Session Type: Easy Run

I had a rare chance to go out for a run with Kewell because of the Public Holiday. It was a gentle 3k for me but it was little faster for him and he struggled on the way back, though he still managed to have enough in him to sprint up the hill at the end.

My run on Sunday, was almost identical to the same race last year. That is really good as I consider I was in much better shape last year and was thinking about 3:17 at the Gold Coast then. I am aware that last two Sunday runs have been fairly intense efforts compared to my normal long runs. Last year I don't think I recovered properly from this race, so this year I am being more cautious. I keep telling myself that a few weeks ago my goal was just to get to the start line in one piece. A good performance on the day will just be the icing on the cake.

So I am having a rest day today (Tuesday). And to think one year ago today Australia won its first World Cup Finals match against Japan.

4 Comments:

  • At Wed June 13, 11:24:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Well done on Sunday RS. Gee, six laps must've been tough mentally - its easy to lose the plot after three for four of them. Its good to see you were so consistent.

     
  • At Wed June 13, 04:57:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Hey Robert Song

    Your meticulous preparation has got to show results sooner or later.

    The great force that rewards effort is going to be on your side come race day.

    Thanks for the reminder of Australia's first world cup win it was a time of mixed feelings for me here as I had followed Japan's preparations and believed they would beat Australia. Still I was not as cocky as most Japanese soccer supporters and I told everyone that would listen that "Australia is the most successful sporting nation the world has ever seen and Australains can draw on this background to beat even the more favored sides.

    Knowing that you can do it and that you come from good pedigree is something that can't be underestimated and it will help you too Robert in the Gold Coast Marathon.

    All the best.

     
  • At Wed June 13, 07:38:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Great result Robert Song. A real confidence booster for sure. Take it easy now. There is nothing to be gained now...just maintained.

     
  • At Sat June 16, 11:23:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    A year ago! I remember us trying to catch some of those games on morning TV in the US.

    You're not tempted to throw in an Eagle-style 65k this weekend?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home