Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Buckets of Rain

14.5k 1:12:11. HR Avg ? Max ? Avg Pace 4:58
Course: Work to Riverside and Back..
Start Time: 5:35 pm Temp 18C .
Session Type: Easy Run

In the old days it used to be just plain old rain. Now it is called a rain event. We are now in the midst of a rain event which meant all of tonight's run was done in a light drizzle. We have had good overnight rain and it has continued on through out the day and the prospect of more tomorrow.

This morning Kewell who is 9 years old thought we were joking when we told him it might rain all day. He just thought that was not possible. It was something in his short life that he could not ever remember experiencing. Now there was a time that you could tell that story about kids in the outback but not for Brisbane. I certainly can remember when I was a kid it raining for days and days on end sometimes. Everything became musty. Mould would grow on the ceiling. How things have changed.

Maybe because of the big event, I forgot to take my Heart Rate strap to work, so no feedback on effort tonight but it felt easy enough. And it felt cool in the rain.

The other big event is the Gold Coast marathon and in an ordeal lasting almost as long as my target time, I finally managed to register myself and Kewell and Delta for our races last night. The website was so slow and then rejected my credit card. Got there in the end though.
The kids are doing the Junior 4k Dash. I have put up $10 for the best time between them.

3 Comments:

  • At Thu June 07, 08:57:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Running the rain is quite cathartic hey. Did you give the kids any odds or start? I'll back you to beat them if there's no start...hehe

     
  • At Thu June 07, 01:31:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    That's funny about Kewell.

    Can you believe that the rain made not just the front of the Courier Mail but about the first five pages.

    Although its winter I've had "Spring Rain" stuck in my head for a couple of days. Better than "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" :-)

     
  • At Thu June 07, 09:06:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Blame Speedygeoff's holiday in beautiful/perfect Queensland. The cane toads will be loving it ;)

    Thanks for the link to the John Hadd article. Quite interesting. Any idea who he is? 'John Hadd' seems to be a pseudonym. There was some speculation that he could be John Kellogg, the Letsrun coach.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home