Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep

Tuesday

For the first time in about a month, I felt confident enough to get involved at soccer training. This just means chasing after balls mostly but it is all rather stop start and a lot more lateral movement than plain old running. In fact, I suspect strongly my hamstring problem before Canberra stemmed from soccer training the night before. We always finish training with a game and that night the numbers were not even and I played for one side. Being the competitive person I am, I couldn't let a bunch of 10 year old boys get the better of me, so at times I did put in an extra effort to get back and cut off that goal or go forward in attack.

Anyway after training finishes at 6:00pm, I go out for a run. Tonight I got to the stage of putting on my shoes and I just didn't feel right so I abandoned the run.

Next morning, I was thinking that was a good decision as I felt quite sore in the legs. I also thought my lunchtime Pilate's session who be hard but it turned out Ok and helped loosened me up.

Wednesday

14.6k 1:11:24. HR Avg 147 Max 158 Avg Pace 4:55
Course: Work to Riverside and Back.
Start Time: 5:20 pm Temp 21C.
Session Type: Easy Run

Because I was feeling a bit stiff, I thought I would just take it easy but found after a couple of Ks that I was travelling OK, so stepped up the pace a bit and it turned out to be quite a solid work out. Out in 35:51 (141) and back in 35:33 (153).

Thursday

9.5k 47:36. HR Avg 135 Max 144 Avg Pace 5:00
Course: Work to Sydney St and Back.
Start Time: 6:00 pm Temp 21C.
Session Type: Easy Run

There seems to be a lingering tiredness in my legs these days which just seems to vanish when I actually start running. Still tonight, I definitely wanted this to be just easy pace. Pleasing though to be able to go at 5m/Ks at only 72% Max HR.

4 Comments:

  • At Fri May 18, 06:00:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    "In fact, I suspect strongly my hamstring problem before Canberra stemmed from soccer training the night before" ..... I suggest you don't do this before GC

     
  • At Fri May 18, 07:48:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    i think you may be right Graeme. my brother in law did the same thing just before a goal race last year - soccer with his boys mid week and it went 'bang' just as he kicked the ball. he is a triathlete and was all sort for a very snappy half ironman.
    what's the plan for long runs from here to GCM?

     
  • At Fri May 18, 07:55:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head all day now.

     
  • At Fri May 18, 09:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Perhaps you should stick to shaking the hips, or try and get in a few extra cat naps?

    Glad to hear you're okay to ramp up the long runs for Gold Coast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home