Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Wacky Week

Monday
9.5k 49:04. HR Avg 138 Max `48 Avg Pace 5:09
Course: Work to Sydney St and Back.
Start Time: 5:50 pm Temp 22C.
Session Type: Easy Run

Wednesday
25.0k 2:14:10. HR Avg 135 Max 150 Avg Pace 5:22
Course: Home to Bowen Bridge and Back.
Start Time: 5:40 am Temp 12C.
Session Type: Long Run

Thursday
7.0k 43:02. HR Avg 114 Max 125 Avg Pace 6:09
Course: Treadmill.
Start Time: 6:05 pm Temp 18C.
Session Type: Very Easy Run

Friday
9.5k 47:09. HR Avg 137 Max 150 Avg Pace 4:57
Course: Work to Sydney St and Back.
Start Time: 5:45 pm Temp 20C.
Session Type: Easy Run

Sunday
25.0k 2:16:07. HR Avg 138 Max 151 Avg Pace 5:26
Course: Home to Bowen Bridge and Back.
Start Time: 6:20 am Temp 15C.
Session Type: Long Run

This past week has been odd. On my Monday night run, I felt very good. Usually on a Monday I am still a bit stiff from Sunday's long run but not that night. The big surprise was that I ran a relatively slow time of 49:04 at HR 138 despite feeling so good. Only last week I ran this in 47:36 at HR 135 whilst feeling really tired.

I was going down south for work on Wednesday and knew I would not be able to run Wednesday night. So got up early Wednesday morning and did 25k. Boy what a day to go for an early run. It was definitely the coldest day of the year so far by a long way. My hands stayed cold the whole way. It was a good run and coming back in 67:30 at HR 136 was excellent. The only faster time so far this year was in late March when I did it in 65:49 but at HR 146.

By Wednesday evening after a plane trip to Sydney and a long car trip out to Windsor, I could feel my legs getting very tight especially my left hamstrings.
By Thursday, they were really sore and I limped around all day. Thursday night, I felt some gentle movement could only help, so did 45 minutes on the treadmill at the Hotel where I was staying. Afterwards I had a good stretch and they felt much better.

Friday afternoon I flew back in to Brisbane, and went from the airport to work and out for a run. I didn't want to put too much pressure on my legs as they were still a little sore, so took it easy. Turned out to be the opposite of Monday's run. Felt crappy but did a good time 47:09 at HR 137. I am starting to get confused at this point.

I had planned to do 36k on Sunday but I didn't think I could risk it and so just settled for another 25k out to Bowen Bridge and back. My time was 2 minutes slower than Wednesday and at HR 138 compared to 135. So another backward step there.

Now some of those numbers my appear to be small but having closely monitored my training and Heart Rates for the last three years, I have found that it is very rare for them to behave in the fashion they have this week. Generally they only surprise on the upside. If they do go backwards, I usually am aware that my performance is down while I am running.

The way my legs reacted to Wednesday's run is also a worry. Maybe sitting for long periods on a plane and car didn't help. And getting heavily involved at football training on Tuesday night probably didn't help. But then again, at that point I had done 105k in the last seven days and maybe it was just a matter of too much too quickly. I would have been very worried if it was only my left leg but my right leg was also sore. I am hoping it is does not cause a relapse of my pre-Canberra problem. The Gym at the hotel had a proper machine for doing hamstring strenghtening exercises and it showed that my left hammie is still a lot less strong than my right, so I still have a lot of work to do there.

Will just have to play it by ear over the next few weeks but the main goal is now just to get to the start line at the Gold Coast rather than any sort of time target.

6 Comments:

  • At Mon May 28, 07:54:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    it stands out to me that 105K in 7 days is going to bring on fatigue

     
  • At Mon May 28, 01:23:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    I understand that these kind of fluctuating heart rates are indicative of over-training. I guess you need a few light days in a row combined with appropriate nutrition and sleep.

     
  • At Mon May 28, 02:53:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Strange days indeed, most peculiar Robert Song. You aren't doing too badly though when you call sub 5min pace easy.

    PS Looks like our GC marathon goal is identical :)

     
  • At Mon May 28, 04:05:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    You should borrow some of those strenghening exercises Tesso showed on her blog.

    The easy run Thursday may have helped for Friday. I hope the next few weeks go well. I'll try and remember to bring up an old jumper for you to wear on your early morning runs ;)

     
  • At Mon May 28, 08:41:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    That's one heck of a ride from Mascot to Windsor. It's also a little cold out that way early in the morning. Good move to go treadmill not road. 25k is still a solid workout, and will keep your fitness up. As you might say, complete then compete...

     
  • At Mon May 28, 10:32:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    I'm in the too much too soon camp on this one but mainly cause I don't understand all the other stuff your talking about.

    But seriously if you follow Stephen's advice of getting some more kip and a few good feeds it will help.

    By the way don't accept the offer of a "jumper" from Ewen. His fashion sense is a large part of the reason he is still single!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home