Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Saturday, June 09, 2007

What a difference a day makes

Thursday
9.5k 44:33. HR Avg 146 Max 157 Avg Pace 4:41
Course: Work to Sydney St and Back.
Start Time: 5:25 pm Temp 18C.
Session Type: Lactate Threshold Run
Splits: 22:31 (140) 22:02 (152)

Friday
14.5k 1:06:13. HR Avg 145 Max 156 Avg Pace 4:34
Course: Work to Riverside and Back.
Start Time: 5:35 pm Temp 14C.
Session Type: Lactate Threshold Run
Splits: 33:28 (140) 32:45 (153)

I have been taking it easy this week to ensure I had recovered from Sunday's effort. On Thursday night I was still a bit leg weary but was pleased with the solid hit out.

Tonight I planned to go out at a similiar effort but just add the extra 5 k to the run. It was really brisk tonight and a little windy as well. After about 3k, I felt like I was going "fast" but my Heart Rate was still under 140 so kept with it. By the turn around, I knew something special was happening. It was a little more into the wind coming back but still managed a negative split and a great time. I have only gone under 66 minutes for this course three times before and each time the HR has been over 156. I keep a simple rating system for my runs (pace * HR) and this is the lowest rating I have ever done for this course.

How does one improve so much in one day? Tonight's run as measured by Heart Rate is almost identical in effort to Thursday and even though I went 5 k further I could do it at an avearge 7 seconds a K better pace. I knew this improvement was coming. I have upped my effort on a couple of sessions a week to Lactate Threshold Level over the last couple of weeks. And I know from past experience, that improvements are often sharp jumps between plateaus but it is not only suprising but very pleasing when it does happen. With a bit over three weeks to go, there may still be one more plateau jump in me. If there is I could be looking at a reasonable time (3:20 - 3:25 range) at GC.

7 Comments:

  • At Sat June 09, 09:56:00 am AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    This is excellent news Robert Song. I am getting very enthusiastic about your GC Marathon. I am looking forward to seeing you out on the course.

     
  • At Sat June 09, 05:31:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Gosh! That's some good running! Gold Coast coming up...hope to see you there!

     
  • At Sat June 09, 10:35:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    My guess is that recovery from the easy week is allowing stimuluses from recent training to actually show up (c.f. the normal state of fatigue). The 9.5k run the day before was of a similar intensity to give you a base for comparison, but wasn't long enough to slow your continuing recovery. But Friday would have been fatiguing enough that if you went and tried it again today, you might have felt like you went backwards a bit. Its that ebb and flow of recovery versus stress.

    One other factor that would have contributed at least something. The temperature was 4C cooler on Friday. Not to diminish Friday's result, but I'm sure it would have accounted for some part of the difference. Hard to say how much.

     
  • At Sun June 10, 05:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Hope those twenty four little hours brought you the sun and the flowers...that GC PB is looking gooood!

     
  • At Mon June 11, 12:53:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Yes, look at a 3:20-25. That sounds about right.

    I've noticed a similar thing with lactate threshold runs on subsequent days (a lower HR on the second day for the same pace). I think it shows a good training effect with this sort of running.

     
  • At Tue June 12, 10:04:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    greta sessions RS - cracking pace and HR combination is pointing to good things. are we sickos for enjoying LT sessions?

     
  • At Tue June 12, 01:45:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    "improvements are often sharp jumps between plateaus" .... another new one to me, but makes sense .... good luck with the next jump ..... would that be a move to light speed?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home