Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, June 04, 2007

Qld Half Marathon Plus

Sunday
14.5k 1:21:21. HR Avg 138 Max 156 Avg Pace 5:36
Course: Warm up prior to QLD Half Marathon.
Start Time: 5:40 am Temp 15C.
Session Type: Easy Run

21.1k 1:41:44. HR Avg 160 Max 170 Avg Pace 4:49
Course: QLD Half Marathon.
Start Time: 7:00 am Temp 17C.
Session Type: Race


Monday
6.8k 37:14. HR Avg 132 Max 139 Avg Pace 5:28
Course: Work to New Farm Park and Back.
Start Time: 5:55 pm Temp 21C.
Session Type: Easy Run


I needed to have a l o n g run this weekend, so did a slow 81 minutes before the start of the Half Marathon on Sunday morning. From Doomben, I headed towards town by the river. I knew there was a tap on the boardwalk on the Tennyson Reach which was my target turn around point. I got there in just over 40 minutes, so knew if I kept the same pace going back I should time it about right to arrive just before the start. And that's exactly as it worked out.

I was at the back of the pack at the start so it was a little slow getting going. I also suprised the people at the first water table at the 300m point when I stopped and slammed down two cups of water.Must have wondered how I was going to last the whole race. The first K was 5:14 followed by a 5:05 and then a 5:03. My aim for the Half was a solid run but not flat out but at over 5m/k pace I felt it was a little too easy, so just kept picking the pace up. And after a few more Ks I was doing around 4:47 and was comfortable to just sit on that pace and slowily keep picking peolple off.

Turned at half way in 51:25 (Avg Pace 4:54 HR avg 155) and just kept chugging along. I was feeling very good and not getting tired in the legs at all and pretty much continued on to the finish at that pace giving me a second half split of 50:19 ( Avg Pace 4:47 HR avg 165).

I certainly felt like I could have kept going for another 7k at that same pace. I don't know if I could have done the same thing if the first 14.5k pre-race was at that pace though.

I am just so happy with the run. My left leg gave me no problems and even on a normal slow long run both legs usually have a certain amount of leg weariness. But I seemed to have none of that. And still no sign of after soreness even on tonight's gentle recovery run. I am even starting to think I maybe able to raise my expectation from just getting to the starting line at GC to something at little higher.

Caught up with all the CR crowd afterwards and it was especially good to talk with visitor SpeedyGeoff especially after he had recovered from all the punches to the gut.

8 Comments:

  • At Tue June 05, 07:01:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Glad you decided to come along and even better to hear that you came through with no pain.

     
  • At Tue June 05, 08:56:00 am AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    Well done. Really good day out on the roads for you. You seem to be coming into some good form now. Keep it up!!

     
  • At Tue June 05, 10:14:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Gosh I had no idea you ran that long BEFORE the half marathon!

    Well done. Looks like Gold Coast Marathon will be an excellent run for you, not long now.

    Will you be starting the taper this week or next?

     
  • At Tue June 05, 11:24:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Great run! And how good is that, no leg pain. Speaking of pain though, my hand was sore after punching you and Speedygeoff in the belly. You both must've been working out :-)

    GC is starting to look rather good for you after all.

     
  • At Tue June 05, 09:26:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    It was great to see you having a good time on Sunday Robert Song. You sure seemed pretty happy with your effort when I saw you after the race.

    Not too long to wait for the GC now.

     
  • At Tue June 05, 10:43:00 pm AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    Impressive run (and a great confidence builder). Congratulations :-)

    Gnome

     
  • At Wed June 06, 12:07:00 pm AEST, Blogger plu said…

    Seems the young body is holding together for the marathon.

    cheers Plu

     
  • At Wed June 06, 08:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Great training session Robert. You should expect something good at Gold Coast. Perhaps an ave HR of 160 for the distance?

    I'll give him an extra one when he gets home ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home