Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 24, 2007

BRRC 10k Champs

Saturday
6.5k 30:03. HR Avg 150 Max 166 Avg Pace 4:37
Course: Gap Cycle Path.
Start Time: 7:55 am Temp 11C.
Session Type: Lactate Threshold Run

My team's soccer match wasn't till 12:30pm today so I could have a bit of a sleep in before going out for a run this morning. The idea was to take it fairly easy as I was going to do a solid 10k on Sunday. The first K of this run is all down hill so not much effort is required initially. Usually this is a good thing but it was cold with light rain this morning so I found myself going a bit harder once I reached the flat than I wanted just so I could warm up. So in the end it turned out a bit quicker than I wanted.

Sunday
10.0k 40:56. HR Avg 166 Max 175 Avg Pace 4:11
Course: BRRC 10k Champs.
Start Time: 6:30 am Temp 12C.
Session Type: Tempo Run

My plan for today's BRRC 10k Champs was not to go flat out but certainly put in a bit more effort than I have been recently. I have run no faster than 4:28 pace the last couple of weeks in training so thought a pace around 4:20 (43:20) would be a fair challenge without wasting me completely. Today, Kewell my nine year old son came along to compete in the 5k event. He and his sister are entered in the Junior 4k dash next week.

Started out on plan with a 4:19 first K. The next K was 4:12 and it felt comfortable so stuck with it. Completed the first lap in 21:06 (Hr 161) . I realised I only had to speed up a little and I would beat my current Over 50 PB for this distance of 42:00. By some dubious process, I calculated that 21 minutes was 4:15 pace and was pleased when I was keeping well under this in the second lap, so I thought I had plenty of time up my sleeve. It wasn't till I looked at the time at one K to go that I realised I had miscalculated but a 4:06 last K and a second lap 20:50 (171) got me to the finish line in 41:56 and a surprising Over-50 PB. This was really pleasing as I must say I still had lots left in me today. Also picked up a third place in my age category to boot.

After the finish , I jogged back along the course to link up with Kewell. I meet up with him with about 1.5 k to go. He went out a bit fast and got a stitch around the 4k mark and had to walk for a 100m but finished with a dazzling sprint for a time of around 30 minutes. He had a great time and now wants to become a member.




My run today has put the cat among the pigeons regarding a target time for GC. I will be really happy to just get to the start and complete the race but with today's run and some of my training runs last week are pointing to me being in reasonably good endurance condition. Realistically, I could aim for a sub 3:20. A few weeks ago I would not have thought that possible but things just seem to be falling into place nicely.

9 Comments:

  • At Mon June 25, 08:12:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Well done on Sundays' race. I saw you finish and you definitely looked like you were working hard sot consider it a well earned reward.

    As for GC...I say go for it! Sub 3:20....

     
  • At Mon June 25, 09:38:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    mate, that is fantastic result and a reminder for all of us, that dealing with an injury properly doesn't hold us back for too long. you missed canberra sure, but now have a geat chance to cover yourself in glory...looking forward to a catch up at GCM!

     
  • At Mon June 25, 10:46:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    You've got to love those PBs 'by mistake' Graham. By the way, you have 40:56 in the post - typing as bad as your maths ;)

    That's the thing with this training - not knowing quite what shape you're in until you have a race, or test. I don't think you've done any of those 2500m tests recently. 3:20 is on the cards for sure.

    Catch up next Sunday.

     
  • At Mon June 25, 02:28:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    it seems to be looking that way .... sub 3:20!

     
  • At Mon June 25, 05:22:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    That was such a great result yesterday. And what a strong finish! Maybe you should keep Toasty company in that 3:15 pack next weekend.

    Congrats too to Kewell. That's a fantastic time for his first 5k race. It would be great if he did join BRRC, they certainly need more youngies to come along.

     
  • At Mon June 25, 05:51:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Rewards of good training. GCM will be interesting. You should well cruise for the first 35kms and if you can focus on trying to catch Toasty's 3:15 group for the last 10kms then "Bobs your unlce."

    Hope one of my boyas takes an interest in running, you must be pleased.

     
  • At Mon June 25, 06:34:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sounding quietly confident Mr Song.

    See ya on Sunday.

    JD

     
  • At Mon June 25, 08:33:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    I think you will be keeping Toasties balloon in view most of the race Robert Song. You looked very comfortable yesterday. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by your result at GC.

    All the best.

     
  • At Mon June 25, 10:44:00 pm AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    Love that photo! Methinks that Kewell has a pretty good coach :-)

    It looks like you've got all the good reasons to go into the weekend in a good frame of mind, and sometimes I think that's almost as important as the training.

    Go well

    Gnome

     

Post a Comment

<< Home