Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Sunday - race practice

21.0k 1:36:56. HR Avg 153 Max 173 Avg Pace 4:37
Course: BRRC 21k.
Start Time: 6:00 am Temp 18C.
Session Type: MP Run

The plan for this morning's BRRC's event was to do three 7k laps at 4:40 and see whether I could sustain that pace comfortably and give me a guide as to a possible Marathon pace.

It was the coolest Sunday morning for ages which was a plus. The run went really well and I managed to run at around 4:37 pace the whole way and only averaged HR 150.
The three laps were :

32:19 (HR141)
32:37 (151)
32:00 (154).

It has certainly got me thinking that 4:40 pace may be close to the mark for Canberra. Factoring in some fade in the last 10k, that makes a sub 3:20 the target.

Now I only have to keep the gremlins at bay. Looks like Delta is going down with the cold now, which only leaves My Wife and me who haven't succumbed at this stage.

Managed 284K for March despite having three days off for Womeadelaide.
Year to Date up to 993K.

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Apr 02, 06:45:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    It's all there for a great Canberra.

     
  • At Mon Apr 02, 07:53:00 am AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sounds like some lively steppin' at the BRRC. Well done.

    Like that confident tone too.

    See ya soon.

    JD

     
  • At Mon Apr 02, 02:12:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Nice work yesterday, you looked to be doing it easy, very cruisey :-)

    I head someone sneeze in the distance today and it freaked me out. I can imagine how you mest be feeling. Maybe you can wear one of those surgical masks around the house.

     
  • At Mon Apr 02, 03:27:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Fantastic Run!! Sub 3:20 is a good goal to go for. I'll certainly be writing that down now and cheering you on when I see you out there on the course.

    13 more sleeps till the night before :)

     
  • At Mon Apr 02, 09:31:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Yes, good target Robert. I like the programmed fade factor, which, if you're feeling brilliant, might turn into a negative split race.

    The chilly weather down here will help keep the HR low!

     
  • At Tue Apr 03, 10:18:00 am AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    Well done on Sunday. 3:20 sounds like a great goal.

    Keep up the Vit C, keep a sensible distance from Delta, and manicly wash you hands. Or, just leave fate up to the gods, and hope you don't catch anything :-).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home