Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tuesday - After training training

9.0k 48:56. HR Avg 151 Max 163 Avg Pace 4:55
Course: To Top of Tilquin Street and Back.
Start Time: 6:50 pm Temp 24C.
Session Type: 3 by 3k with 2 minute recovery

Tonight was my first session of the new phase in my Canberra program. I planned to go out and run above my lactate threshold level. Firstly though, at 5:00pm it was the first training session of the U10 soccer team I am coaching this season. Went well except my voice gave out after about twenty minutes. Will have to practice yelling at the kids, so I will be able to stand up and shout for a whole hour next week. That's if I have a voice tomorrow.

So it was almost seven pm by the time I started my running and it was lightly raining as I set out to do a set of three of a 3k circuit round the streets of The Gap with a two minute recovery. This has a few sharp short hills and one 800m long steady uphill section. Main aim was to attack the hills and not go overboard going down hill.

Lap Times were
14:51 (HR Avg 145 ; Max 158)
14:38 (154 / 161 )
14:50 (155 / 163)

I am surprised that the HR wasn't higher because I certainly felt I was putting in a concerted effort especially on the up sections.

Anyway the benchmark has been set and this will be my Tuesday session for the next five weeks.

Ewen, I closely watch the Canberra weather and I am very pleased things have turned cooler.

To answer Plu's query on what I do during the 45 minutes between waking up at 4:00am and getting out the door on a Sunday morning. First thing to remember is that I am not a morning person. I usually train in the evening so waking up at that hour is a shock to the system. I get up and boil the jug and make a cup of coffee. I put on my gear, strap on the HR monitor, and get wired for sound and finish drinking the coffee. I drink black coffee so it takes a while to coool enogh for me to drink it all. This all takes about 25 - 30 minutes. I will take a peek at whatever English Premier League game is currently on TV at that time also. I won't go into a ihatetoast level of detail on what happens next but I find going out for a 30+K run is much better done on an empty intestinal system. Now other people who are used to training in the morning may be able to perform on cue with this but as I say I am a slow to get going. But one thing is for certain is I'm not going out without the job being done. And before you know it 45 minutes is gone and I'm off .......

6 Comments:

  • At Wed Mar 07, 08:06:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I have that same getting ready problem even though I get everything out the night before. Seems the more time I allow the more time I take.

    I like your plan for the '3 x 3k' runs once a week.

     
  • At Wed Mar 07, 01:33:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    I absolutely intend to be at the starting line with you Robert Song.

    3 X 3K at max effort sounds like a tall order. Training sure is tough.

     
  • At Wed Mar 07, 03:49:00 pm AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    Nice work on the 3k reps. It does sound hard. That's good...right?

     
  • At Wed Mar 07, 09:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    I was re-reading mcmillan running university notes on his web site and was reminded that for marathon the longer "interval" type sessions are great value for money for building stamin.a like your program RS.
    and on the getting ready thing...you either spend the time at the beginning or somewhere on the road anyhow so, having had some annoying and embarrassing ones, i've found ot's worth the waiting in the comforts of home. coffee helps too!

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 05:58:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    If I sit around waiting, it may or may not happen. But if I hit the road, it seems to shake things loose and so a well-equipped route is essential for me. I honestly don't know how I'd go if moved back to Australia. I'd probably have to stick solely to running later in the day.

    Nice 3-k repeats. I'm looking forward to the day they read: 12:00, 12:00, 12:00 ;-)

     
  • At Tue Mar 13, 08:15:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Hope Adelaide was good Robert.

    Another cracking day today. It's starting to feel like Autumn. Best thing is the reduced humidity :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home