Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sunday - tell me why

36.0k 3:17:11. HR Avg 147 Max 165 Avg Pace 5:28
Course: To Bowen Bridge and then Gap Cycle loop.
Start Time: 4:45 am Temp 22 - 26C Humidity 88% - 72%.
Session Type: Long Run

With six weeks to go till Canberra, today's 36k run had been planned to be my longest run so far and be done a bit quicker than I have been going recently. As well I would test out my race routine by taking gels along the way.

But with the weather continuing to be hot and steamy, I dropped the plans to speed up too much and figured survival would be a good goal today.

I was up at 4:00 and out the door into the dark by 4:45am. I was feeling good on the way out and felt strong, so was a little surprised to be a minute and a half behind last weeks time at the turn round. I was still feeling strong on the way back and at 67:22 was just 9 seconds slower than the out leg. At this point last week, I was really feeling bad and it was quite a mental struggle to head back out for the cycle path loop. Today I was feeling much better physically which I put down to the gels and had no problem heading off even though it was to be the 11k loop today.

I drank about 300mls of water with my gel and it took a few K for that too settle down in my stomach but I got back in a groove and even though it was hot I managed to make it to the end without slowing too much. But what a relief to finish. I sat on a bench in my backyard and watched a pool of sweat grow on the ground as it dripped off my body and I wondered why I was doing this to myself. Funny how I actually felt worse after the run than while actually running it.

That bought up 103k for the week. Exactly the same amount as I did for the corresponding week last year. That day I ran this same course one minute slower in 3:18:11 (Hr 141). The big difference being that it blew a gale and rained for 2 hours on that run. Could have used a bit of that today.

10 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 05, 06:41:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    sounds familiar ..... you seem to be doing well in your preparations for canberra .... not long to go now

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 08:37:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Yesterday was another killer heat and humidity wise.

    I remember the weather last year, they referred to it as a mini cyclone. It sure was a great day for running!

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 11:18:00 am AEST, Blogger TD said…

    A great week of running there and great long run too. It must have felt so satisfying to get through such a tough week and 36k's is long and hard no matter what pace you run it at.

    The taper will start soon and all the hard work will be put to good use.

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 12:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    These are the runs that make all the difference when you reach the half way mark at Canberra.

    Great long run Graeme.

    Hope to see you at the BRRC Half Marathon.

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 05:00:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    Great run in the heat Graeme - the quesiton now is really quando, quando, quando! the answer is Canberra (sorry about the corn)

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 05:07:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Every now and then that dark cloud of "Why am I doing this to myself " hovers above me too, but both you and I have been around long enough to know that these little sacrifices are all worthwhile come race day.

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 08:36:00 pm AEST, Blogger plu said…

    ""I was up at 4:00 and out the door into the dark by 4:45am.""

    What were you doing for 45 minutes?

    Plu

     
  • At Mon Mar 05, 11:32:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    Nice run. Especially the discipline involved in getting to bed at whatever time you had to to get up at 4:00! You are running nicely at the moment. That's a high average heart rate too. Shows you were never exactly loafing out there. Good job!

     
  • At Tue Mar 06, 03:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Looks like you're ahead of last year Robert.

    You folk up there will be very pleased to hear that this morning was our first genuine cool morning of Autumn. Not sure of the temp, but I had a jumper on!

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 06:13:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    see, you're the reason the climate is changing. you're a big ball of heat and you're the reason your back yard is a great salt lake!

    break a hip and take a break. it's good for you. i had a dinner of jellybeans the other day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home