Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sunday - Playing catch up

31.5k 2:49:51. HR Avg 138 Max 151 Avg Pace 5:21
Course: To Bowen Bridge and then Gap Cycle Path.
Start Time: 5:05 am Temp 23C.
Session Type: Long Run

Stepped out this morning at just after 5:00am into a light drizzle which lasted about 20 minutes. It was very cooling but once it stopped I realised that with the low cloud cover it was going to be humid. At around 10k there was another heavier but brief shower. So by the time I got to the turn around at Bowen Bridge I was soaked including my socks. Never a great feeling sloshing around in a pool of water in your shoes. But my out time of 65:46 (HR 134) indicated I was going well today.

I got back home in 67:10 (HR 140) and once again jettisoned my soaked singlet had a nice cool drink and headed off for the 6.5k circuit on the cycle track.

As always I was pleased to finish as it was starting to really warm up as the sun broke through the clouds.

Today's time of 2:49:51 (HR 138) was a pleasing 5 minutes faster than last week and done at lower HR as well. It is starting to look like I am getting close to my level of fitness at the corresponding time last year. With 7 weeks to go last year, I was around six minutes slower on this run. My other training session times are also starting to come in line. So my chances of beating last year's time are on the up.

Stephen asked about my MaxHR. I use a figure of 187. I have recorded this rate a few times on hard runs. It interesting that this morning before my run, I recorded a low of HR 41 when sitting down. I reckon if I had laid down and relaxed I may have been able to go under 40. In the mid 80s when I ran my marathon PB, I was able to get down to 38. Also then I had a racing weight of 67kgs. I was 71kg in mid-January, and since then I have been very careful about my diet. I am even on the 67 Wine diet! So you know what that means. I am now down to 69 kg, so on my current rate I could be down to 67kg just in time for Canberra. By then I imagine I'll be a one pot screamer though.

Week Total: 83.9K
Feb To Date: 303.2K
Year To Date: 644K

7 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 25, 03:44:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Training is certainly going well for Robert Song. The next 3-4 weeks are going to be exciting as we put in the last big efforts in our training. Then we will begin to appreciate all the hard work as we taper to the big day.

     
  • At Sun Feb 25, 04:49:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm down to 67kgs, after having lost 2kgs in the last 6 weeks.
    Not sure I wanna go much lower than that as I think I may be in peril if we strike a breezy day in Canberra.

    JD

     
  • At Sun Feb 25, 06:28:00 pm AEST, Blogger plu said…

    That is such a low weight. WOW.

    Plu

     
  • At Mon Feb 26, 03:59:00 pm AEST, Blogger Mat said…

    Another great long run. Your training seems to be going so well!

     
  • At Mon Feb 26, 06:12:00 pm AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    good work RS.

    by the way, i got the tip last year about vaselin'ing the feet for any runs over 2 hours...it was to do with sweat etc, but i found it great for those occasional showers as well. i did it for teh last few long runs last yr plus the mara itself.

     
  • At Mon Feb 26, 09:16:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    The 67 Wine diet? Does that mean no wine until you hit 67kgs?

    Maybe you should make it a 67 Music diet, you would drop the weight in a day ;-)

     
  • At Tue Feb 27, 01:41:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Being a one-pot screamer makes the after Marathon party a cheap affair ;)

    The quicker time at a lower HR is a great sign. You're on track for something special in Canberra. Another good sign... for the first time this year, it's feeling cooler.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home