Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Friday, March 02, 2007

Friday - One night, one steamy night I'd lose a kilo each hour

14.6k 1:09:36. HR Avg 153 Max 165 Avg Pace 4:46
Course: Work to Riverside and Back.
Start Time: 6:50 pm Temp 27C.
Session Type: Sub 82%MxHR Run

The weather has just got steamier and steamier all week. It was 27C and 78% Humidity when I set out tonight. I was travelling Ok to start with and turned around at 33:54 (HR 146) which is 4:39 pace. But after that, the blood just seemed to boil and I felt very hot. Even as I dropped the pace, I couldn't stop my HR going up and up and came back at HR 160 but at 4:53 pace.

I have a strange but a somewhat trailing indicator on how humid it is. When we start to have many humid days in a row, my heart rate monitor strap starts to rub on my back for some reason during runs. After a prolonged period, these patches become quite red and if I don't intervene they will get to the point of bleeding. This is even with the application of Bodyglide. So what I do and what I did tonight was to actually put elastoplast tape over the two spots that rub. But as I say this only happens when the humidity reaches a certain level. Lets hope it goes away sometime real soon.

6 Comments:

  • At Sat Mar 03, 07:22:00 am AEST, Blogger Peterhorse said…

    You've seen my i-pod scars from said same abrasion. Perhaps some shaving in the region? Alos, my brother-in-law recommends Paw-paw ointment instead of vaseline (reckons it doens't strain clothes as it washes out well if required).
    The heat training now will surely bode well for an added bonus at C'bra?

     
  • At Sat Mar 03, 11:20:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Let's hope it goes away down here before marathon day. Absolutely drenched in sweat this morning. I can't remember such a humid February/March.

     
  • At Sat Mar 03, 03:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Good to see the Sparks' still in your running and posting.

    Do you like Bodyglide so much you sing to it "I never feel like garbage when I'm with you"?

     
  • At Sat Mar 03, 08:43:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    92% at the start of today's run according to the bureau .... i'm supporting your call for this to end

     
  • At Sun Mar 04, 03:27:00 pm AEST, Blogger Hannah said…

    Chafing sounds nasty... hope the elastoplast works well!

     
  • At Sun Mar 04, 06:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I think we were spoilt this summer and that's why the last few days have seemed so bad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home