Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Monday, January 15, 2007

No more classes for a week or two (Part 1) now with photos

I am back from holidays and back on-line (just). So I will quickly go through what I have been up to over the last 4 weeks.

Week One. 18 - 24 December.

Monday to Thursday

The first week of the holiday started off with a camping trip up to the Bunya Mountains some 3 hours drive north east of Brisbane. The first morning, I was off at 6:30 am for a run along the road from our camp ground at Burton Wells heading east. The drive in the day before had not seemed very hilly but once I was out running, I found it very up and down. I turned aroung at the aptly named Paradise and headed back. All up just under an hour for the 10.5 K with 300m of ascent along the way. After breakfast, we went for a 9k walk through the rainforest. Here is the family at one of the eastern facing lookouts.

And this is Dory the photographer.


There has been a long standing prank that I play on my wife whenever we go bush walking. If I find myself in front of her, I will hide behind a tree and jump out and scare her as she passes. As I say I think I have done this on every walk with her in the last thirty years. So this day I was walking with Ducky and Kewell, out in front of My Wife and I was telling them how she must be expecting it. Strangely when the act was done, once again she was not expecting it and was scared witless. In fact she was very pale and quiet for the next half hour. It was then that she sprouted horns as this photo shows and later warned me that if I ever, ever do that again it would be instant divorce.




By that afternoon, I knew my mountain run had had the same result it had on last year's camping trip. My legs were so sore and there would be no more runs on this trip but I did manage a couple of more walks which helped with the recovery.

Thursday Evening
Back home and 11k on the Gap Cycle Path in 57:16 (HR 152 Pace 5:12). The legs seemed to have recovered.

What hasn't recoverd is my home computer. After coming home it would not start. Not even go through the POST test.

Friday Evening
11k on the Gap Cycle Path in 59:53 (HR 138 Pace 5:26). A nice easy run.

The computer is not being so easy. After much stuffing around, I suspect it is the power source or the motherboard. Saturday I go out and get a new power supply but it makes no difference.

Sunday Morning
Long Run. 25k from home to Bowen Bridge and back in 2:24:57 (HR 141 5:47). The conditions this week have been as good as you could ask for at this time of year. Not too hot or humid. Took it very easy.

Week 2

Christmas Day

The traditional Christmas family get together at our place. We have a Chritmas present draw so you only have to give to one other person. I scored a copy of the "Love" album by the Beatles which is a remix done by George Martin. Some of it is very clever and I have found it to be very enjoyable holiday listening. It is fun trying to pick the source of all the bits of songs you hear. I believe there are bits from 130 Beatles songs on the album. I was puzzled by the guitar solo in Lady Madonna and have since found out it is from Hey Bulldog. No wonder I didn't recognise it. Must be one of the few tracks I don't have. I suppose it helps that I was a huge Beatles fan as a kid. The first album I ever purchased with my own money was "The Beatles" (aka The White album).

Tuesday Morning
6.6k on the Gap Cycle Path in 34:57 (HR 138 Pace 5:22). The run this morning was a bit of a suprise. After about 500m, I was acutely aware that the tendons on the top of my right foot had a sharp pain as if my laces where too tight. I stopped and loosened them but this didn't help much. After about 2k, I stopped again and loosened them even more. After that it was worse. I decided it wasn't going to go away so turned back for home and completed the run with a fair bit of discomfort in the foot. Afterwards I remembered that towards the end of my long run on Sunday, I had felt this on my right foot but had just put up with it as there was not far to go.

I have officially abanonded my computer. Luckily, I have another that is the kids computer and I can use this. I have removed the hard disk from my computer and installed in their computer and also attached the cable modem to it. The only problem now was that all the internet quota has been used up and so we were limited to 28K speed. Gosh how did anyone ever exist at these speeds. It is almost impossible to get anything loaded.

Wednesday
The right foot hasn't been toubling me just walking around, so decide to give it another go. After 400m, it is just the same as yesterday, so I abandon the run. That evening I decide to go out for a walk as I seem to be able to do that pain free. To make it more of an effort, I do 6 repeats of my monster hill. All up it is just under an hour of exercise.

Thursday Morning
Another attempt at a run. This time it is relatively pain free. 11k in 56:56 (HR 144 Pace 5:10).
Today I made two decisions. The first was this year I would go to Womadelaide in March. The lure of seeing Salif Keita , Femi Kuti and Lila Downs was too great. The second was that after such a great time at the Canberra Marathon, it was also impossible not to go back this year. So on my super slow net connection, I made the necessary plane and hotel reservations for these two events.

Friday Morning
11k on Gap Cycle path in 55:22 (HR 148 5:02). After the run, we headed up to Caloundra for our usual two week beach vacation.

Sunday Morning

26.7k Long Run. I am out and running just before 5:00am. This run takes me from the Calounrda Headland all the way down to the boat jetty at Pelician Waters and back (16.6k) and then a 10.1k lap only as far as Golden Beach. Again very favourable conditions for running. Passed Parmy from the BRRC on the run this morning. No problem from my right foot, so hopefully I can put that behind me.

To be continued ...

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Jan 15, 11:30:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Welcome back! Sounds like a great holiday. I hope that one of these days when you least expect it Your Wife will get you back big time.

    Glad to hear the foot is behaving. I thought it might be going around (not sure if you've seen Clairie's blog).

    My friend Vera was just visiting from Canberra, and she is very excited to be going to Womadadelaide this year. She'll be joining us at some time on marathon weekend in April, you can talk Womad :-)

     
  • At Tue Jan 16, 07:13:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    About time! I thought you might be training in Africa or something.

    I'm sure you don't want the instant divorce, so that will be the last time for the bush walking trick. Can't wait to see the photos.

    Glad your foot seems OK. Poor Clairies doesn't :(

     
  • At Tue Jan 16, 08:14:00 pm AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    Glad to see you're back. I was really surprised with the 'new' Beatles album - I expected to hate it, but I got totally wrapped up in identifying the source of all the bits and pieces and loved it. It's a strange world :-)

    Gnome

     

Post a Comment

<< Home