Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Friday - Gonna knock you off your feet

6.5k 31:36. HR Avg 148 Max 160 Avg Pace 4:51
Course: Gap Cycle Path.
Start Time: 5:30 pm Temp 26C.
Session Type: Tempo Run

It was rather prophetic that IhateToast mentioned dance shoes earlier this week. The household is currently in Dance Concert season. All the girls (Ducky, Dory and Delta) do ballet, jazz, hip-hop etc classes which culminate in an end of year concert over thre nights at the Schonell theatre. The first was Thursday night and I went to watch, so there was no time for a run last night.

Tonight I only had time to fit in a 6.5K run, so it turned into a tempo run by circumstance rather than design. It was nice to stretch out a little. Out in 15:52 and back in 15:44.

My Wife was a dancer in her youth and has always been interested in dance and when we were younger I used to go with her to performances. I didn't mind some of the contemporarry stuff but the classical ballet left me a little bored. I got to the point where all I was waiting for was for one of the dancers to slip or fall. I can remember one performance where a small bit of one of the dancer's costume had fallen on the stage and I waited eagerly all night for a dancer to land on that spot and see their leg go slipping from underneath them. Well I have been going to the kid's Dance Concerts for ten years now and certainly with children in the six and under category there is always a good chance of seeing some spills. But last night there was only a few wobbles.

Of course, there is a certain karma to my dance views. In 1988, My Wife and I had tickets to see a Graeme Murphy / Australian Ballet production that was part of Expo 88. I actually found Murphy's work very good so was happy to be going along. It was a Friday night and I always used to do my long runs after work on Friday. So I did my 32k run and with not much time to spare, quickly made my way to the Concert Hall and arrived just in time. In hind sight now, I know I didn't have enough to eat and drink after the run and found myself feeling a bit funny in the head. I had to get up and go outside during the performance but only managed to collapse. I was whisked outside and cared for very well by the Concert Hall staff but "dance" had it's revenge.

3 Comments:

  • At Sat Dec 02, 06:28:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Classic :-) (pardon the pun)

    Actually it sounds like a good topic for a CR thread, worst after-effects of a training run.

     
  • At Sun Dec 03, 02:00:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    At least you didn't slip down the aisle on the jaffas as you ran into the concert.

     
  • At Sun Dec 03, 07:45:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bet you've dined out on that one for 18 years. What a ripper. More of that Crazy Rhythm.. oh and I like the Tiny Dancer reference from the previous post too...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home