Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wednesday - The boulevard is not that bad

15.5k 1:28:02. HR Avg 146 Max 159 Avg Pace 5:40
Course: City to Home via Boen Bridge.
Start Time: 5:05 pm Temp 28C.
Session Type: Easy Run

It just seems to have got hotter every day this week. When I left the building at just after 5 this afternoon for the run home, it was obvious a storm was brewing. It was hot and very humid. When I got to Bowen Bridge there was a few spits of rain but they just evaporated on contact with the cement and made it even more steamy.

I just kept an easy pace but I still found it very draining. At about three K from home there started to be a bit of lightning about away to the west, so I sped up just in case it was coming my way. Just as I arrived home, there was a short down pour. I could have used that out on the run.

IhateToast has asked about the logistics of my running home. She has asked this before when I had no car a few months ago and I didn't answer then, so I guess I should now. It is all very easy. I leave my clothes at work and don't carry anything. For instance, tomorrow I won't run and take my clothes home in a backpack on the bus. I could not imagine running with a backpack especially in this weather. When I had no car, My Wife would drive me to work and I would get her to take yesterday's clothes home.

ILT also made a comment about walking the tightrope and ballet shoes. This reminded me of the time when I was in a different profession and working in London at the Angel of Islington and I got to do some work on Frederich Freed who was one of the original makers of ballet point shoes.

And Clairie, sorry good goss. No holiday just another round of skin surgery.

2 Comments:

  • At Thu Nov 30, 05:47:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I'm not sure how people run with those huge backpacks. You have to snicker when you spot stuff people have dropped on the way to work. Imagine getting there and you have no daks :-)

    Work on anyone else famous?

     
  • At Fri Dec 01, 10:05:00 am AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Hello Robert

    I could almost smell the coming rain from your description. I love the hot weather but I know it is draining, so take care out there.

    It's about 11 degrees outside now as I write so no worrys about getting sunstroke for me. By the way I watched a good DVD the other night about an ultra marathon in death valley USA, peolpe throwing up and bursting blood blisters left, right and center.

    It's called "Badwater" something or other, watch it as it might give you the motivation to get out in the heat over summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home