Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thursday - Syncro Feelings, woo hoo ha ha

9.5k 43:10. HR Avg 159 Max 169 Avg Pace 4:32
Course: Work to Sydney St and Back.
Start Time: 5:05 pm Temp 22C.
Session Type: Tempo Run

A ominious storm front was heading towards Brisbane this afternoon which sent everyone scuttling home early from work. I think the Expressway closure has gotten everyone used to travelling at different times anyhow.

But I was going out for my run no matter what. In the end the storm front petered out by the time it got to Brisbane. There was just a few spots of rain in the first K. I was listening to Sulfjan Steven's "Illinois album. The second track called "The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are off Our Lands!' is a stirring instrumental piece fusing brass and choral elements that rises to a crescendo finish much like Also Sprach Zarathustra from 2001: A Space Oddyssey. As it was approaching its finale, I turned left from Macquarie St to join up the path by the river and I was presented with a stunning rainbow with its arch joining the ground on the other side of the river. One of those inspirational moments of syncronicity.

The rest of the run wasn't quite up to that standard but still, a good tempo run at a solid pace. Out in 21:26 (HR 154) and back in 21:43 (HR 165). A bit of a head wind coming back.

A bit of Sufjan Stevens' trivia. His bother Marzuki Stevens was the fifth American in the Chicago Marathon in 2004 in 2:22 and was 20th overall at Boston this year.

5 Comments:

  • At Fri Oct 20, 06:54:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    I was so disappointed when that storm didn't so much as give my garden a drop of rain!!

    I know what you mean about the roadworks - I have left work this week at 4pm, 7pm and 6pm.
    Hopefully I can go back to my normal routine soon though I suspect the road will be closed for a few weeks.

     
  • At Fri Oct 20, 12:49:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I love it when that happens. Best thing is next time you hear the song where-ever you are and whatever you are doing it will always remind you of a special running moment.

    Thanks for the Sufjan trivia.

     
  • At Fri Oct 20, 04:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Still coming to terms withe the whole freeway cracks thing. We still can't work out why they chose not to use engineers in the construction...

     
  • At Fri Oct 20, 10:46:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how did they find that crack? it's not like it's on the backside of a queen street mall teen. this would have been hard to find.

    this won't make sense to you, but these last few days have reminded me of texas ice storms. no one can drive on ice, so the streets are backed up.

     
  • At Sun Oct 22, 03:15:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    If only you had a camera. Moments like that make for a memorable run.

    Pretty respectable 1k repeats the other day - although I'm impressed by anything starting in a '3'.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home