Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sunday - BRRC 5k Champs

5.0k 20:16. HR Avg 173 Max 182 Avg Pace 4:03
Course: West End.
Start Time: 6:30 am Temp 18C.
Session Type: BRRC 5k Champs

This morning was the Road Runner's Club 5k Champs. My current goal is the 10k race there in three weeks time but this would be a valuable Time Trial in preparation for that. I was well rested as I had to miss my planned training session on Friday night because I had to pick Ducky up at Cornubia (sounds like it could be in Sudan) from her volleyball tournament. I had done 20:41 last year in this same event but would have been happy with anything under 21 minutes today.

After the storms last night (my rain guage measured 35mm which is fantastic), it was a bit cooler this morning which was welcome. Did a short warm up which included a chat with Tesso and then it was off.

I always try not to go out too quick at the start, so was a little suprised to go 3:58 for the first K but I didn't feel like I was pushing it too hard. I knew Clairie wasn't too far behind me because I could hear the encouraging words "Go Clairie" from bystanders and runners going the other way. I just kept running feeling comfortable and concentrating on my form and breathing. I remember passing through a larger carpet of jacaranda flowers somewhere along Riverside Drive.

The fourth K has a bit of a rise and I slowed a little on this section. Half expected Clairie to appear on my shoulder at any moment on this section. I managed to pick up the pace again in the last K knowing there wasn't too far to go. Matty was near the finish giving out encouragement which was appreciated. Finished in 20:16 and was second in my age group.

My splits were:
1k 3:58
2k 4:01
3k 4:03
4k 4:10
5k 4:04

Congrats to other medal winners Clairie, Tesso and Matt. And where was Eddie?. It is just not the same without you.

I am very pleased with my time which is an over 50 PB and it is a good sign for the 10k to come.

5 Comments:

  • At Sun Oct 22, 08:33:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    173 is that around 90%?

    A great run, especially with the last K picking it back up. Well done!

     
  • At Sun Oct 22, 09:38:00 pm AEST, Blogger Samurai Running said…

    Nice pacing Robert. Not like my 3KTT stuff up.

    You couldn't have been too far behind the 1st place finisher.

    Looking forward to the 10K I bet.

     
  • At Mon Oct 23, 07:32:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Huge congrats on the Over 50 PB, and coming 2nd to Ron in your category.

    Great improvement on last years times, things are looking very good for that 10k. What's your goal for it?

     
  • At Mon Oct 23, 08:56:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    It was great having someone to chase though really I was just working on keeping you in sight!

    I went up the hill hard and closed distance on you but then the legs turned to jelly and I really slowed until the 4km sign - where like you I picked it up again.

    Was great to have you out there and I agree it was sad to miss Eddie. He must have been scared you and I would beat him :)

     
  • At Mon Oct 23, 08:25:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Fantastic result Graham - especially as you didn't peak for it. I wonder if you can give 40 a shake in the 10k?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home