Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sunday Bridge to Brisbane

12.0k 55:30. HR Avg 163 Max 178 Avg Pace 4:37
Course: Bridge to Brisbane.
Start Time: 7:00 am Temp 13C.
Session Type: Race

Yesterday my left hamstrings and abductor muscles were still very tight. I took some NSAIDs, iced and rested. I wondered whether it would be a sensible thing to run today. This morning when I woke at 4:30 am, it felt much better so was happy enough to just go along and have an easy run. My Wife drove me, John, Christine and Rod to the start. Isn't that good of her. This is the first year that I have arrived early enough to get up into the red zone and be close to the start line.

Just before the start PunterMatt spotted me and I went over to say hello. He was being a 65 minute pace and with five minutes before the gun he let forth with a loud and inspiring speech on his pacing strategy for all within earshot. It was enough to make me rethink my own race plan.

Then it was off. I started conservatively and took it easy up to the top of the bridge and the first K was just under 6:00mins. It is hard not to speed up going down the otherside and by the 3K marker I was going along at 4:35 pace. My leg was a little tight but there was no pain, so just kept at this pace. With 3k to go, I was still feeling good so picked up the pace to 4:25 and kept at that pace to the finish for a finishing time of 55:30. This is 4 minutes slower than last year but I am more than happy with how it turned out today, especially considering how I felt yesterday.

And was that IronPete as the lone CR cheerperson ? (Hard to call him a squad.) The encouragement was appreciated anyway. Meet up with lots of CRs I hadn't seen for awhile at the finish which is amazing considering how big this event is.

With today's run, it gave me 54.4K plus one bike session for the week. That is the most I have run for 8 weeks.

I am slowily coming to the conclusion that my leg problems are back related. I have been doing a lot of Pilates floor exercises and stretching in the Gym after my training runs in the last three weeks and I think it has been helping. I wonder if it is just a coincidence but the Gym was closed Thursday and Friday as it was being repainted and I didn't do my post run exercises and my leg pains flared up??

6 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 06, 08:26:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Lucky you to have a company gym. We have a small one, but really it's more of a former meeting room with a walker and some hand weights. Still, they mean well.
    Stretching is certainly a key to injury avoidance. After some runs I don't and just hope it won't catch up on me. I think the stretching classes may be the next thing...

     
  • At Sun Aug 06, 09:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Well done this morn Robert Song! Considering the past day or so I wasn't sure whether you'd even make it to the start.

    Yep, that was IronPete out there cheering us on. And speaking of Pete's I spotted Peterhorse in the brief Channel 90 coverage on the news.

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 08:35:00 am AEST, Blogger Chelle said…

    Well done on getting out there. I have been a bit slack on my wider-blog reading recently but you seem to have done really well just making the start line given the previous few days.

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 09:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    It was good to see you out there Robert Song. I am glad you had such a good run and that you seem to be recovering well.

     
  • At Tue Aug 08, 05:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    163 HR is running. I'll check your training rate but I bet it is a little higher.

     
  • At Tue Aug 08, 05:11:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    just checked .... yep! .... can't get one past me

     

Post a Comment

<< Home