Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Beep Test 11.2

The trainer from the gym at work has organised a series of Beep Tests. The first was today and then one every four weeks. Having never done a Beep Test I thought I would give it a go. Reading up on how it is executed, I realised I probably wouldn't be able to (and certainly shouldn't) give a 100% today but it would be good practice for the next couple of tests.

So at lunchtime, I lined up with six other fellow employees and did the test. The initial levels are very easy but after about Level 8 it was suprising how quickly it becomes challenging. I got to Level 11.2 and was at HR 184 when I dropped out. I stopped because it was starting to get too stressful on my legs. It is so much more difficult stopping, turning and accelerating constantly then cruising along at a constant speed as you would on a normal run. Anyway it will give me room for some improvement next month.

After that I went and did 15 minutes on the gym bike to cool down and then did some stretching.

3 Comments:

  • At Thu July 27, 09:03:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    I agree, those things are really hard with all the stopping and turning. 11.2 is a great score. I don't think I got over 10 when I did mine, and that was many birthdays ago.

    So how did you do against the other employees?

     
  • At Thu July 27, 09:07:00 am AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    I downloaded the test from the net.
    The link is here.
    http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

    R2B

     
  • At Fri July 28, 09:48:00 am AEST, Blogger allrounder said…

    the timing & turning is very much a skill, it also depends on the surface you do it on...i've done it on grass, synthetic surface & a basketball court...my best was 11.7 on a synthetic surface (but like Tesso, this was many moons ago!)...the more you do it the better you get...11.2 is fantastic given you've never done it before...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home