Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday Soukous

This afternoon made it along to the Powerhouse at New Farm for the Congo Festival. Main attraction was the group Vox Congo from Melbourne (via Congo) who provided and energetic and crowd pleasing set.

Paced myself well through. Started with simple foot tapping and as the band warmed up I picked up the tempo and got the hips moving and shaking. Mindful of my injuries I never went overboard but still worked up a nice sweat. It was wonderful to see so many Africans there and witness once again their exhilarating joy of music and dance.

2 Comments:

  • At Sun July 16, 08:21:00 pm AEST, Blogger TD said…

    I lived in Africa for three years, Robert and you are right they do have a great joy of music and a natural one at that. On a different note, my grandparents lived in New Farm and I have memories from the early 1970s of going crabbing down at Brisbane River in front of the Powerhouse, when it was literally that.

     
  • At Sun July 16, 08:56:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Dang! I forgot it was on. Must've killed the brain cell that held that info last night at the PCRG dinner ;-) Sounds like it was fantastic. Get any pics?

    PS I reckon you had to be African in a previous life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home