Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Gold Coast Marathon 2006 - 3:44:30

42.195k 3:44:30. HR Avg 156 Max 158 Avg Pace 5:41
Course: Gold Coast Marathon.
Start Time: 6:50 am Temp 10 - 18C.
Session Type: Race

Saturday morning, I packed up the family and we made our way down to the Coast. After settling into the apartment, we headed up to the Race expo with the main aim being to check out the seminar featuring the Aussie sub 2:10 Marathoners - Clayton, De Castella, Moneghetti, Carrol and Troop. This turned out to be excellent forum and it also featured Kerryn McCann. Meet up with loads of Coolrunners afterwards.

I was uncertain how many leg would stand up to the race and I did seriously think about changing down to the 10k but in the end decided I'd give the Marathon a go.
It was then back for a quiet dinner in the apartment.

On Saturday night, I made a decision to wear my music player in the race. I never usually wear it when I'm racing but I was concerned if I had to pull out at any point at least I would have some music to comfort me on the walk back to the start.
So I deleted some of the music that was on it and made a hasty random selection from my laptop. Watched the Lions beat Carlton despite a very lack luster kicking display and then off to bed and a more than adequate night's sleep.

Sunday morning, I was up at 4:45 and had an Up & Go and a coffee. Watched the first half of the Brazil v France game before it was time to head off for the 10 minute drive to the start. Got there in time to see the Half Marathon starters. Then it was a last minute toilet stop and then off to the start. Made my way up to just behind the 3:15 pacers and was pleased to see Eddie. It almost wouldn't seem like a race start not to be beside Eddie at the start. (If only I could also be beside him at the finish.)

About two weeks ago, I had come to the conclusion that my dream of 3:16 was not on and 3:20 was going to be a realistic goal for my level of fitness at this time. Of course this was before I had the left hamstring strain ten days ago. As late as last Tuesday, I was still limping on the left leg. My plan was definetly not to start too fast and take a couple of Ks to get up to 4:40 to 4:45 pace and then hold that for as long as possible, hopefully to the finish.

The race started and I did take it easy early with a 5:05 first K and then 4:42 and the third in 4:41. So I was up to speed and everything was feeling fine. The atmosphere was great with lots of people around. Through 5k in 23:44. This pace was very comfortable and my heart rate was around 155 so I knew I was capable of keeping that this going for a long time. 10k was reached in 46:58. Soon after this Lee Troop and Moners came charging back the other way. They were really flying
at this stage and he had a big lead. 15k in 1:10:19 and all was still going well. Passed half way in 1:39:21 which was just about spot on for what I wanted.

My Wife and kids were waiting at 26 k to hand me a drink bottle. I had given them my expected arrival time, so they would know if I was on schedule or not. They were pleased to see me right on time and they gave me a lift as I passed. I drank my drink going up the "hill" and cruised down the other side past the CR cheersquad for another lift. Another few more Ks and now my left hamstring started to feel uncomfotable. I think it was the first of those little bridges that did it. Just that extra effort seemed to strech it too much. I found that when I slowed down to around 5:10m pace, it was bearable. I did my mental calculations and if I could keep going at that pace I could still get a 3:25 time which at least would be better than my Canberra time earlier this year.

But by 32k I knew that today my only realistic goal was a finisher's T-shirt. It was still two Ks to the turn around and I set a goal to have a walk break at the first drink station past the turn around at 34k. But when the drink station came just before the turn around, I stopped for my drinks and had a strecth and then started running again. I was very pleased with that decision as it felt much better afterwards. I got to the turn around and let out a congratulatory yell. No matter if I had to walk all the way back from here that finisher's shirt was mine.

I was now shuffling along at about 7 min /Ks. What a struggle. I was determined to get to the next drink station before walking again which I did. I stretched again but and on starting running again this time it did not feel any better. I kept going till one of those bridges. I walked over it but found walking just as painful as running, so took off shuffling again. At about 4k to go, I noticed another guy who seemed to be in a similiar pattern to me. I would pass him as he was stopped by the side of the road, and he would pass me as I took walking breaks. I got talking with him and we encouraged each other to get to the end. I tired to help another Japanese runner who was down on his haunches in the middle of the road but he said it was OK. There was an ambulance attending a runner lying prone on the footpath opposite a drink station with about 3k to go. All around me were nothing but people struggling or at least that's how it seemed. I suppose the one's feeling good and running sub 5:00 pace went by so quickily but the rest of us struggling with our 7 min Ks were doing it in slow motion. Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" came up on my music and it made me laugh. I felt like a broken down wreck.

Strangely, the last couple of K's seemed to go fairly quickly. I just wanted to to end. Passing the CR cheersquad, was a big lift but I didn't feel I deserved those cheers. Then on to that never ending finishing shute. I knew my family were waiting there , so tried really hard to get a little decent form and ghive the appearance of a runner for them. As I passed them,I had to hold back a few tears and put on a happy face. They all said later how bad I looked at this point, so luckily I didn't show them how I was really feeling. Over the line in 3:44:30.

In the recovery area, I met up with a few other Coolrunners who finished not long after me noteable GoGirl and Peterhorse both having made their debuts and were over the moon.

I staggered out of the enclosure and meet up with the family. Went down to the water and stood in the cold water in the Spit for 10 minutes. Met up with Beagle who did a well deserved PB of 3:13. Waited around to see my sister come in at 4:31 and then hobbled off back to the apartment.

Looking back now, there were lots of positives from the race. I didn't need a toilet stop for one! I take great comfort that I did the first 28 k s so comfotably and that I think in different circumstances I may have been able to keep that up for a 3:20 time. It was certainly insightful to be part of the Brotherhood of The Struggling in the later stages of the race. It is something that I have not seen before and it will certainly be something that I will do my upmost to avoid in the future but it is a great comfort to know that if that is where you end up in a race that you will not be alone out there.

Splits
K Split Split Pace
5 23:44 4.45
10 23:14 4.39
15 23:21 4.40
20 23:41 4.45
25 24:09 4.49
30 25:12 5.03
35 30:08 6.02
40 35:07 7.01
42.195 15:51 7.13

First Half 1:39:21
Second Half 2:05:09


For those interested here was my music playlist:

These were already on my player:

We Shall Overcome - Bruce Springsteen
Jesse James
Erie Canal
My Oklahoma Home
Eyes on the Prize

Elephant - The White Stripes
Seven Nation Army
There's No Home for You Here
IWant to be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart

Flaco Jimenez
La Mojadita
Viva Sequin

Golden Afrique Vol 2 Disc 1
Double-Double - Nyboma
Africa Mokili Mobimba - Joesph Kabasele and African Jazz
Independance Cha Cha Cha - Franco and OK Jazz
Bawayo - Tiers Monde Coop

These were added the night before:

E-Pro - Beck
Love the One Your With - Stephen Stills
Extraordinary MAchine - Fiona Apple
My Life is Starting Over Again - Daniel Johnson
Poor Man's Shangri-La - Ry Cooder
Where Teardrops Fall - Bob Dylan
Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Your Grievence - Daniel Johnson
Nor Weigh Me Lek Dat - S E Rogie
Cherie - Ali Farka Toure
Dance on Vaseline - David Byrne
Laughing - David Crosby
Army Arrangement - Fela Anikulapo Kuti
Chet Boghassa - Tinariwen
Paradiso - Konono No 1
Gasoline Alley - Rod Stewart
I'm A Wheel - Wilco
Midnight Jam - Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros
Homegrown - Neil Young
Rail Band - Rail Band of Bamako
Eparapo - Tony Allen
Nights of My Nights - Kismet Soundtrack
Got the Time - Joe Jackson
Aa Shuu De Kei Oo - Huun-Huur-Tu
Cool for Cats - Squeeze
Barcas - Think of One
Town called Malice - The Jam

10 Comments:

  • At Wed July 05, 05:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    An excellent report Rober Song. It is amazing thwill we possess to soldier on when we are actually in the race. It always means so much to have others around you. The CoolRunners certainly ease the pain boost your determination.

     
  • At Wed July 05, 06:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Still a mighty effort .... funny thing is that it is exactly the same distance for everyone and no less of an achievement to finish .... i love the marathon ... there isn't anything like it!

     
  • At Wed July 05, 07:56:00 pm AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    Oh man!
    What can i say?
    Thats just bad luck to be injured!

     
  • At Wed July 05, 11:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    Geez. My hammies hurt so much at Canberra, and they weren't crook going in! You're a brave man, Mr Robertson :-)

     
  • At Thu July 06, 09:35:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Looks like its you, Eddie and I at Canberra going for the elusive Sub 3:20 run!

     
  • At Thu July 06, 04:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Congrats on battling it out. Still a bloody great finishing time if you ask me. Hope you get that hampster sorted out soon, I need you to stir me up at some BRRC races.

    So, who's carrying this sub 3:20 flag in Canberra next year? Or are we going to have it in turns? We'll have to co-ordinate our music so we can have a little sing-along was we go.

     
  • At Thu July 06, 05:29:00 pm AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Well done GR

    Personally, I'd be wrapt to complete a marathon, let alone do 3.44
    I support the Blues, but I don't tip them. That's why I'm still in with a chance!

     
  • At Thu July 06, 09:55:00 pm AEST, Blogger Matty said…

    Great report RB!!! You really gave us an insight into the end of marathon struggles. I've been there for my debut marathon and think it is something all runners should experience!!!

     
  • At Sat July 08, 06:01:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sounds very much like my GC marathon last year! I know exactly how you felt during those closing stages. You did just great!

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 03:54:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Thanks for the details Robert. I'm glad you tried to look good for the family - I can imagine how bad you must have looked and felt. 7 minutes k's do seem to take forever, especially when you were cruising along at 4:40s for so long. Well done for sticking it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home