Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Heartbreak Tuesday

Up early this morning to watch the Australia v Italy World Cup match. Very proud of the way the team played the game and it is disappointing to lose it at that moment and in that way. But I was happy that we scored a goal in a World Cup Final. I am happy that we won a World Cup Finals game. It was amazing that we got past the group stage. And it was fantastic that we held Italy to 0-0 for all but 30 seconds of a match. In reality, although we controlled the ball well and at times dominated, in the end we just didn't have enough class to put a goal in the back of the net. Italy were unlucky with the chances they made and we were depending on luck for our chances.

The real heartbreak is that after my run on Sunday night, I woke yesterday with my left hamstring sore again. This is not just a taper-madness all-in-the-mind niggle. It was sore and restricting me just walking around. I went to Southbank Monday lunchtime to pick up my race number (M1122) and tried to walk boldly up to the counter without a limp but it was not very comfortable. No wonder the lady gave me such a funny look, when she saw I was doing the full marathon.

Today it is a lot better, so I am going to have to be very careful not to aggrevate it before Sunday and just hope it will stand up to the journey.

Bugger.

5 Comments:

  • At Tue June 27, 05:52:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Oh nooooo :-( That's about the hammy not the football. Well, both I guess.

    I hope you are wrong and it really is just taper madness. Or at the very worst something that goes away with a day or two of rest.

    I'd lend you one of mine if I could.

     
  • At Tue June 27, 11:26:00 pm AEST, Blogger TA and the Gnome said…

    Not sure that one of Tesso's legs is what you need right at the moment! ;-)

    Seriously, I hope that the total rest between now and the weekend (plus the adrenaline of the day) do the trick for you. We'll be thinking of you.

    Gnome

     
  • At Wed June 28, 08:10:00 am AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    Race day niggles are bad enough but this sounds more serious..

    Take Care in the next few days. Would a massage be beneficial do you think??

    Hope I don't hear any more bad news but please keep me posted.

     
  • At Wed June 28, 06:18:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Oh bugger ..... hope it isn't as bad as you fear

     
  • At Wed June 28, 08:22:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Robert Song don't do a single thing, running-wise that is, befor e Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing you out there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home