Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sunday 12K @ HR 156 Pace 4:26

12.0k 53:04. HR Avg 156 Max 164 Avg Pace 4:25
Course: Uni of Qld St Lucia.
Start Time: 4:55 pm Temp 18C.
Session Type: Steady Run

I had planned to do my HR/Pace Test today. I had again got up at 5:00 am to watch the World Cup and it turned out to be a cracking match with Argentina winning 2-1 in extra time from a splendid goal from Maxi Rodriguez. After that I watched the Germany v Sweeden game which I had taped. I then went back to bed a slept till lunchtime.

So I left my session till this afternoon. There was always going to be a risk doing this as the track might be being used for other purposes. And that is how it turned out. There was lot of kids training on the track and it would not have been very suitable for my test. So instead I just ran round the Uni doing two laps at a steady pace without pushing too hard (10.4k in 46:05 Pace 4:26 HR 156).

It certainly has been many years since I have done this run. The BRRC races (or Qld Marathon and Road Runners Club as it was known then) used to have its races here in the Eighties and the run tonight bought back many memories of those events and other training runs. One I remember in particuliar was in 1984 when I had my one and only attempt at a full on Carbo-load. On the Tuesday night before the Gold Coast Marathon that year, I did a 20k run in 80 minutes. This was the depletion run and for the next 48 hours I had no carbs. Followed it up with another 4k in the morning to just make sure all the glycogen was gone. I can't imagine doing such a tough run so close to a race now and I certainly wouldn't do the full carbo load either. The results speak for themselves in that race - Half Way in 1:24:30 Second Half 1:41:27.

Anyway after the run, the track was empty and the lights were on so I did four laps to just get some sort of feel for pacing at various Heart Rates. The two test laps I timed were HR 158 Pace 4:30 and HR 162 Pace 4:16. In hindsight, they were next to useless as an indicator. My left hamstring again gave me no problems and tonight's run has lifted my confidence for next week-end.

Weekly Ks: 39K
MTD: 155.2K
YTD: 1,563K

3 Comments:

  • At Mon June 26, 01:09:00 pm AEST, Blogger miners said…

    Fascinating stuff in regards to the old carbo-loading strategy. That would have probably killed me!

     
  • At Mon June 26, 05:04:00 pm AEST, Blogger Stephen Lacey said…

    Hmm...but it is hard to say whether the carbo loading didn't work or you simply ran the first half too fast relative to what your training had made you capable of at that time. I reckon with all the predictors (McMillan etc) around these days, pacing is one thing that is easier to get right than it would have been back then. Perhaps.

    On the heart rate/pacing thing, there is also a confounding factor in there in the form of how long you have been running for (in a given session). The longer you run, the higher the heart rate for a given pace...within certain limits. I found last year that a useful fitness indicator was the pace I produced early on in a run for a given heart rate. (i.e., as I got fitter, and compounded a bit as summer changed to autumn, my pace at HR153 went from 4:30, to 4:20 to 4:15 and finally 4:07). The time it would take before HR began drifting upwards was also a good indicator of endurance. Again, temperature would confound that.

    Good luck for next Sunday!

     
  • At Tue June 27, 10:27:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    48 hours with no carbs, how crazy is that. Running or no running I would be dead. Or if not dead then very very crabby. I'd be rapt to do a 1:24 and a 1:41 though :-)

    Oh, and the Socceroos ... I feel like I should be offering you my condolences.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home