Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Brisbane Half Marathon 1:36:44

21.1k 1:36:44. HR Avg 172 Max 181 Avg Pace 4:35
Course: Brisbane Half Marathon.
Start Time: 6:30 am Temp 19C.
Session Type: Race

I really didn't have much idea how I would run today. Last night at a CR pre-race dinner, I told Eagle I thought I would do around 1:37. It is now three weeks since Canberra and I have done only one run above 10k in that time and a measily 50k total. As well I had a cold last week, which I have just managed to shake off.

Lined up with Eddie and the 1:35 pacer at the start line. The start, while a little congested, was no where as bad as last year. Still only did 4:47 for the first K but after that ramped up to a good pace around 4:26. Was a little suprised my HR was already up to 165 but was comfortable to stick with that. Went through 5k in 22:27.

I seem to have dropped Eddie somewhere coming back from The Regatta. Got to 10k in 44:42 which is avg 4:28 with a 5k split of 22:15. I was still feeling comfortable at this stage although the HR had gone over 170. I was on target for a sub 1:35 by quite a margin, a result I would have been pretty happy with.

The hill up through the gardens and up and over the Goodwill Bridge slowed me down a little but still managed a 22:56 split to the 15k mark. But after that running upto West End, I quickly started to tire. The 1:35 pacer passed me and I made an effort to latch on but it just wasn't there. The legs wouldn't respond, my stomach was churniing and I was starting to feel very tired. The humidity was also taking its toll and each K started to get slower, 4:40, 4:48, 4:49 and a 4:55 to the 20k mark. The CR Cheersquad lifted me just after this and I managed a 4:46 to 21k and on to the finish line.

Boy that was tough. At least in Canberra only the last couple of Ks had been hard and that was only because my legs ached. Today I was washed out and drained of energy for the last 5k and it was quite a struggle.

Hopefully I feel a lot better with some solid training under my belt for the Doomben Half in five weeks time.

5 Comments:

  • At Sun Apr 30, 07:48:00 pm AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    None the less a very respectable Half!
    Good work on short training!

     
  • At Sun Apr 30, 08:22:00 pm AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Heat, humidity and a recent marathon was definitely a factor in my opinion. Congratulations on a very strong performance with all things considered.

     
  • At Mon May 01, 08:19:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    You have to be happy with 1:36 considering the lead up and the humidity on the day. Hope you managed to find Your Wife. I was looking after lost property, no-one handed her in.

     
  • At Mon May 01, 08:59:00 am AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Well done Robert Song. You did well to stay in front of the 1:35 pacer for as long as you did. I just let them go past soon after I got over the shock of them catching me so early in the race.
    All things considered Robert Song, you did a great job.

     
  • At Mon May 01, 05:26:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    I'm thinking you might have still had the after effects of the cold in the system, hence the higher than expected HR and not feeling well the last part.

    Hope you didn't need ID to claim the wife from lost property.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home