Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Canberra Marathon

42.195k 3:27:07. HR Avg 156 Max 165 Avg Pace 5:55
Course: Canberra Marathon.
Start Time: 7:00 am Temp 1C - 14C.
Session Type: Race

I entered a long post last night only to see it go into a Blogger black hole when I went to publish it. I will try again now but just do the race report to start with.

The night before the race, I had finally decided on my race plan. I was going to do 4:50 pace to 32k and then run as comfortably as I could for the last 10k. I was fully expecting to fade over this last part to 5 minute or above pace but under no circumstances was I to put in such a BIG effort that it would take me weeks to recover. So I was expecting something in the 3:25 to 3:30 range.

Awoke at 4:10 am to have a light breakfast. The wait seemed to go by quickly and in no time was ready to make my way to the start line. I was staying at the Rydge's so it was only a couple of minutes walk to the start. I put on my trusty beanie and gloves and braced for myself for the cold. I arrived at the start and within moments the race was off. Not even enough time to get cold.

The first K was an easy 5:05 which was good as it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of the start. Upped the pace to close to my target and settled in for the ride. This was a little more difficult than I expected as the first 10k had lots of turns and the long steady climb up to parliament House and then the long downhill made keeping a steady rhythm hard. Reached 10K in 47:52 (avg 4:48), so I was just a little under my target, so I slowed a little. I had been running with Eddie but he kept up his pace and moved away.






But it wasn't long till I was joined by Clairie and we started running together. I was now into a nice 4:50 pace and the ten k to 20k was covered in 48:19 (avg 4:49). My Heart Rate to this point had also been very steady in the low 150s.

The call of nature had been beckoning for sometime, and now seemed as good as time as any answer that call, so I pulled over to the closest bush I could find. Now that is 20 seconds I have to find a way of overcoming at the Gold Coast especially as there are not many bushes on that course. Alas it also meant that was the last I saw of Clairie. I must say though I have never seen her as quiet as she was when she was running with me. Guess she was focusing intensely and boy did it pay off for her on this run.

Passed Half way in 1:41:23. Coming back to the turn around, I felt sufficiently warmed up to discard my beanie and gloves and threw them to the CR cheer squad.




The 10k to 30k was done in 48:46 (avg 4:52).

My 32k objective was reached in 2:34:50 at an average pace of near on 4:50. So spot on plan. At this point I felt comfortable in the legs. My Heart rate was around 157, so that was under control. My biggest worry was my stomach. It just felt uncomfortable. I was thinking maybe I was drinking a bit too much water. I am used to drinking a lot on my long runs in the heat, so I had drunk at every water station and the water bags are very efficient ( when you get the hang of them) so I was getting a lot in. I thought given how I felt I may have been able to manage 5:00 - 5:05 pace for the next 10k without pushing too much. I did that for a few Ks but the down and up out of Death Valley at the turn around put paid to those thoughts as I only managed 5:17. Still I wasn't feeling that bad and did 25:22 for the 5k till 37k.

At just before 40k, CJ breezed up beside me looking fresh and strong. I kept with her for a while but she was way too strong for me at this stage.




The last K was a killer for some reason my legs just started to get really sore and my right foot went numb. I struggled through that last K in 5:24. Turning that corner a heading up to the finish past the Cheer Squad certainly lifts your spirit, and with a bit of grandstanding managed 4:47 pace along there, just proving it is all in the mind to a degree.




So I finished in 3:27:07 and I am more than happy with that. My first marathon finish since 1985. A long tome between drinks. My average Heart Rate of 156 was also very pleasing. None of that heart drift from the heat on this run. In fact you could not have asked for better conditions to run a marathon. Just perfect.



It was an extremely well run event out on the course with the volunteers doing a super job encouraging you by name. Thanks to all the CR supporters and the Cheer squad for their support as well. It all helps believe me.

6 Comments:

  • At Thu Apr 13, 06:45:00 am AEST, Blogger Toasty said…

    Congratulations on a job well done. That was a very solid performance and a perfect set up for GC. I think part of a marathon is timing, pacing, planning and being able to put it all together and you certainly nailed it.
    I would have liked to have been more chatty before the race but Saturday I couldn't think straight. Couldn't think much at all. I'd do things like clean my teeth and then throw the brush in the bin and have to pick it out wondering why I did that. The mind wasn't really going and I wasn't sure what my run was going to be like.
    I look forward to seeing you out there again and once again well done.

     
  • At Thu Apr 13, 06:57:00 am AEST, Blogger blues buffett said…

    Well done G!

    Especially since it's your first since 1985!

    But, unlike Tesso, no music to help you through the 3+ hours?!

    What's the next challenge?

     
  • At Thu Apr 13, 08:14:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Excellent account Graham. A perfect training run for GC.

    You're right about 'Death Valley' - it would be a much better course if they could get rid of that hill. In fact, the plus 5 bike path course is far better.

    The conditions were near perfect. Since then it's been warm and windy so we were lucky to get such a great day.

    Well done on the +50 PB - I'm sure you'll take a big chunk off that at GC.

     
  • At Fri Apr 14, 08:21:00 am AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    Very encouraging result RS your heart rate was very steady and proof of your relaxed run.
    Look out gold coast i think your gonna get a big shake!

     
  • At Fri Apr 14, 01:55:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Congrats again Robert Song. That has to be one of the best 'training' runs you will ever do.

    Blues Buffet mentioned something about music. Which reminded me of somethign I've been wondering for a while - what you would listen to if you did run a marathon with music? That would have to be one hell of a Robert Song compilation!

     
  • At Sat Apr 15, 05:10:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Graham, great photo story of your marathon! And congratulations of such a fast time...you have to be happy with that...I would be!!!

    I was so pleased to meet you at last ...briefly though it was! I can see all going well for GC 2006!

    Well Done!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home