Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sunday Long Run 28k @ HR 148 Pace 5:06

28.0k 1:52:50. HR Avg 148 Max 170 Avg Pace 5:06
Course: BRRC West End.
Start Time: 5:10 am Temp 20C Humidity 87%.
Session Type: Long Run

Arrived at West End just after 5:00am. The plan was to do some easy running before the BRRC 20k race starting at 6:00am. So I headed off, but within a minute my music played had stopped. This happened to me mid-week and yesterday I had loaded up the lastest firmware and had played it for a couple of hours with no problems so was a bit disappointed that it had happened so quickly. Thought I'd give it another try, so turned it on again and it came to life OK and kept playing for the next 50 minutes no problem.

Got back to the starting area with just enough time to have a drink, pay my entry and have a pit stop. There was a queue and I just made it to the start line as the stater got us away. Within 30 seconds of the start the music player stopped again!!
I decided to give it a little rest and see if it would come back to life again. Having reloaded the firmware, I had had to load it up with a new playlist and I was very much looking forward to being pumped up by a selection of my favourites from The Saints and the new Cheik Lo album.

As the pack settled, I found myself next to Karen and we chatted so I didn't feel the need to turn the music on. Turned out our race plans were closely aligned and we ran together for the whole race. My aim for the race was to stay under HR 150 for at least the first 10k. After that I just wanted to keep that pace for the second half and not worry too much if the Heart Rate drifted up. It was not as hot this morning but it was still very humid but a pleasent breeze coming back along the river was refreshing.

The course is 5k loops and my splits were:
5k 25:41 (HR 148)
10k 25:42 (HR 148)
15k 24:50 (HR 157)
20K 24:53 (HR 164) - warming up by this stage
That gave me a time of 1:41:06 (HR 154) Avg Pace 5:03.

So it was exactly what I set out to do and as a bonus I got to run/talk with Karen although on the last lap there was less chat. With virtually all my running now done by myself, this is something different for me.

Week Total: 78.6K + 1 bike session
Feb Total: 299.3K
YTD: 558.8K

Plan for next week is a 100k plus effort. Lets hope the right knee can handle it. It was a bit sore after playing soccer with Kewell in the backyard yesterday and is sore again this morning after the run. I might have to give the football a miss till July which is a pity as I enjoy doing that with him.

4 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 26, 04:47:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    It was pretty humid out there. My shoes and socks were drenched with sweat by the finish - pee-eew :-(

    Better the music player breaking down than you, though what a pain missing out on listening to The Saints!

     
  • At Sun Feb 26, 05:23:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    That was a good run Robert. Also a good week and month.

    More sociable to chat rather than listen to music.

     
  • At Sun Feb 26, 05:25:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    You looked pretty comfortable out there this morning Robert Song. I am glad everything, well most things, ar going to pan for you.

     
  • At Sun Feb 26, 09:03:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    I started reading and thought you had done some more running tonight....but then I realised the 5:10pm start should really be 5:10am.

    Great to see you out there this morning. Though with you running with Karen and Tess running with Scott I was left wondering where my running buddy was.....thankfully though my ipod was good enough to keep working.

    Like you I stayed up till midnight last night restoring the firmware and then loading music onto it as it failed during the day and the PC could not read it except as a USB drive. I am glad I stayed up to do that as the music takes my focus from my breathing...

    See you at the next BRRC!!!

    Best of luck in your 100km week Robert.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home