Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sunday Long Run

36.0k 3:18:06. HR Avg 144 Max 163 Avg Pace 5:31
Course: Upto Bowen Bridge and back and then Gap Cycle Path.
Start Time: 5:35 pm Temp 24C.
Session Type: Long Run

I was out of bed at 4:00am but as I was changing into my gear it starting bucketing down with rain. This lasted about half hour. My rain gauge measured 40mm which is just what the garden needed but I was prepared to wait before starting my run.

Finally got going at 5:30 and it was only lightly raining. This lasted for another half an hour. Once the rain stopped although it was cooler, it was still very humid. Plan was not to get too overheated so that I could get the distance today and not have to pull out after 20K like last Sunday. The first 25 K was up to Bowen Bridge at Herston and back. When I got back home, I changed my socks because they were soaking wet and had a big drink of Gatorade. I also strapped on the music player now that it didn't look like rain and set off for the 11k loop on the local cycle path.

That made for 36k which is pleasing. The legs felt good but I was very weary at the end of it. The last hill up my street to home was a killer.

That makes 95.2K for the week. I have twice before done 95k in a week. They were in consecutive weeks in 1985. The first week starting 27/5/85, I did a 35k run with My Wife in 3:14:23. The next week, we did another 35k run in 3:10. Those times are not that different from today's run and were done in much cooler conditions. Six weeks later I ran my marathon PB of 2:53 and My Wife did her PB of 3:50. No chance of that happening in Canberra this year. One week soon I am going to do a 100k and claim a new Weekly PB total.

Feb Total: 139.3K
YTD : 398.4K

5 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 12, 02:11:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Wow, great long run. Things are looking very good.

    And with a 95.2km week I guess we will forgive you for not slushing around at BRRC this morn.

    Bring on the 100k week!

     
  • At Sun Feb 12, 03:23:00 pm AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    Robert well done your really putting in the hard yards!

     
  • At Sun Feb 12, 03:24:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    Great going Robert Song. You certainly knocking out those K's. I will be plesed to hit 80K this week. Excellent work Robert Song.

     
  • At Sun Feb 12, 05:33:00 pm AEST, Blogger Clairie said…

    36km....now I have run envy and fell lazy for not doing a longer run.

    Well done and keep up the hard effort. It will all make Canberra seem like a walk in the park...well sort of :)

     
  • At Sun Feb 19, 10:16:00 am AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    It's great that you can duplicate a training run from 1985! That's a good pace for 36k Robert.

    A sock pit-stop. That reminds me to carry a spare pair at 6ft. So, it does rain in SE Queensland!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home