Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Sunday 37k @ HR 145 Pace 5:25

37.0k 3:19:20. HR Avg 145 Max 165 Avg Pace 5:25
Course: To Bowen Bridge then Gap Cycle.
Start Time: 4:35 am Temp 23C.
Session Type: Long Run

Away nice and early this morning and a pleasant 23C to start. Again the plan was to take it nice and easy and keep as much as possible around the HR 135 region.

On the outward leg up to Bowen Bridge on the cycle path near Downey Park, passed a young guy who was staggering along with nothing but a T-shirt on. Not a pretty sight. Over the next K, I saw his shoes , pants , shirt and mobile phone along the track. Got to the turn around (12.7K) in 69:14 at HR 134. On the way back, I overtook the guy again and the sight was no prettier.

At around the two hour mark, Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" came on. It always makes me feel good listening to that song whilst running. These are the opening lines:

I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes, and
I certainly haven't been spreading myself around
I still only travel by foot and by foot, it's a slow climb
But I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time

I noticed that my opponent is always on the go, and
Won't go slow so's not to focus and I notice
He'll hitch a ride with any guide as long as they go fast from whence he came
But he's no good at being uncomfortable so he can't stop staying exactly the same

If there was a better way to go then it would find me
I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me
Be kind to me or treat me mean
I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine



Did the return leg in 69:31 (HR 145) which was pretty good as it is 200m ascent from the turn around.

The weather was definitely a bit kinder today as I didn't feel the need to change my socks but still my shorts and singlet were soaked. Had a cool drink and headed out for the 11.6 K circuit around The Gap. Got through this feeling strong and actually raised the pace by 10 seconds a K over this section to 5:16. I think the desire get the run over and done with has something to do with this.

Week Total: 81.4K
Feb Total: 220.7K
YTD: 479.9K

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Feb 19, 02:31:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Gee, I still thought it was pretty warmish out there this morn and I was just doing an easy recovery run. You must be getting tougher ... or maybe you really are an extraordinary machine :-)

    PS It sure is a great running song, and definitely one that's gonna be on my Canberra playlist!

     
  • At Sun Feb 19, 02:48:00 pm AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    You are a machine Robert Song. Going from strenght to strength.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home