Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Saturday Long Run

30.3k 2:56:25. HR Avg 136 Max 161 Avg Pace 5:49
Course: Ashgrove Cycle and then Gap Cycle Path.
Start Time: 4:35 am Temp 27C.
Session Type: Long Run

Another early start. Up at 4:00am for this weeks long run. With the long spell of hot weather that we have been having continuing I was determined to take it easy today. One problem with getting out so early, is that you are the one that blazes the trail through the spider's webs across the track. I copped three in the space of 500m at one point.

There were some nice cooling breezes in the last hour which helped stopped things turning ugly. Something that did not help was at on one of my water stops at a tap, the water was quite hot when I turned it on. I let it run for about a minute but it was still warm. Not very refreshing but you take what you can get.

So ended up being 30.3k which made 78.4k for the week and 260k for December.

I am off up the Coast to Caloundra for two weeks holiday. Maybe it will be a little cooler there. I need to do 147k up there to meet my target of 300k before I go back to work. After this mornings run, I don't like my chances at seeing the new year in tonight.

I have been tossing around the idea of doing a trial Marathon run before The Gold Coast in July. I have finally decided it would be a good thing and have decide Canberra is the best date in relation to my schedule. There will I hope be plenty of time to recover before July. So I have booked the flights and hotel. It won't be a flat out race for me but a chance to test the pre-race routine, drinks and gels and the race plans.

Happy New Year to you all, and may all your training in the new year be adequately rewarded.

5 Comments:

  • At Sat Dec 31, 05:43:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Yay - Canberra!!!! That is soooo exciting!

    Enjoy Caloundra. There are some great places to run up there. And hopefully it will be a little cooler than the big smoke.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and the clan.

    See ya in 2006.

     
  • At Sun Jan 01, 12:56:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Great - I'll catch up with you in Canberra 'Robert'. I'll miss GC as I'll be in VegasNevada in June.

    I had that spider's web problem at the 6ft track recently - should have made LL run ahead with her hands in the air.

     
  • At Tue Jan 03, 10:30:00 am AEST, Blogger R2B said…

    Hiya Robert!
    Now i have just found we are on the same Blog team so i will try to visit more often
    happy new year R2B

     
  • At Sat Jan 07, 04:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hope you did the kms while on hols, RS. So good that you're doing Canberra in April...no need to worry about spiders' webs there!

     
  • At Sun Jan 08, 08:51:00 pm AEST, Blogger CJ said…

    Happy new year. Hope you're having a lovely holiday.

    Wow, another one coming to Canberra. Might see you here somewhere!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home