Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Sunday BRRC 5k Champs

5.0k 20:41. HR Avg 175 Max 183 Avg Pace 4:08
Course: BRRC 5k Champ.
Start Time: 6:30 pm Temp 22C.
Session Type: Time Trial

It was the BRRC 5k championships at West End this morning. I was doing the race as a Time Trial and it is always fun to run as fast as you can. My training at the moment isn't aimed at speed though. Prior to the last couple of weeks, the fastest runs I have done have been around 4:50 pace. In the last two weeks I have managed a couple of runs at 4:36 pace but all these have been at around HR155.

Conditions were warm and cloudy for the start of the race. Aim was not to go out too hard early as I knew I didn't have the anaerobic condition to sustain it. The first K I felt quite relaxed and was surprised with the 4:05 split. Managed to cruise along for the next two K at 4:06 pace without two much bother. From there it got more difficult. This stretch was in the direct sun and I was getting hot and sweaty and the humidity was taking its toll. Slowed down to 4:13 pace for the 4th K. The final K was in the shade and I concentrated hard to keep my form going. HR was up to 183 (close to my Max) so there wasn't much more to give to make me go faster. Last K was 4:11.

Even half an hour after the finish I was still sweating heavily from the run. Managed to come first in my age category, so picked up a medal. I am very happy with the time and considering earlier this year I got my 10k time down by over 4 minutes with some speed training, I can conceive that I could get this down to close to 18 minutes sometime next year.

Finally caught up with Tesso and exchanged some music. Now I just need my music player back.

That gave me 55k for the week.

2 Comments:

  • At Sun Nov 27, 02:00:00 pm AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Congrats on the category win - the big guns always come out on championship day so you've done well. That's an awesome result, especially considering your training hasn't been aimed at speed.

    Thanks again for the music. I've already listened to one of the CDs and there are songs aplenty on there that will be on my Kurrawa mix :-)

     
  • At Tue Nov 29, 07:45:00 am AEST, Blogger Rob said…

    A category win Robert Song! you certainly are going great guns. Congratulations.

    How did you guess. I was doing a bit of a sprint on the home stretch.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home