Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Bridge to Brisbane

12k 51:34. HR Avg 172 Max 184
Course: Bridge To Brisbane.
Start Time: 6:45 pm Temp 11C.
Session Type: Fun Run

Up at 4.45 am. (This is not my time of day). A cup of coffee and a Up & Go and I'm off. My Wife is very kindly driving me and dropping me off at the start. The traffic is very heavy and starts to back up five ks from the drop off point. It is a little later than I planned arriving at the start area and need to have a toilet stop. The queues are long and I am thankful I included my tracksuit top as it is chilly waiting in line. And waiting... Finally my turn but it is already 6.45 and the race has started for the front runners.

I make my way to start line as quickly as I can hoping to get in on the tail end of the Red Zone runners but miss out. So I'm stuck a fair way back in the Yellow start. And were off .... slowly. It is a bit of a struggle weaving in and out of people going up the bridge initially. Seems a lot of Yellow runners only get 300 or 400 m before they have to walk. But the sun is now up and it is a great view from the top of the bridge. Still a lot of weaving having to be done coming down the other side. Must try to get to the start earlier next year.

Hit the flat and can finally get some rhythm. Lock into a steady 4:20 pace which feels quite comfortable. Said hello to Hannah as I passed her. Still lots of people around and as I am going faster than them, have to be mentally alert as I duck in and around people. Pass my work building at the turn into Longlands St, so have a very good idea of the distance to go as I run from here to New Farm Park all the time.

With 2k to go, I stepped up the pace a little as I know I have plenty in reserve. Finish pretty strongily into the Park and on to the finish line.

I had no real expectation of a time before the race, but am very pleased with the 51:34 time (avg pace 4:17) given the first couple of Ks were so congested and I certainly didn't push myself to the limit throuhgout the race.

It gives me great confidence that my base training since the Gold Coast is going well. This training has all been done at a leisurely 5:15 - 5:45 pace (except for the last 5k of Friday's run at 4:45 pace). Another six months of long slow distance and I'll be flying. No pain and lots of gain.

Would like to settle down on the couch now, put some music on and fall asleep but the Lions are playing this afternoon and after the match I have to drive to the Coast where I am attending a conference till Tuesday. Got to go and pack.

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 07, 03:42:00 pm AEST, Blogger Hannah said…

    Great Run :)

    Nice to see you this morning! My run was a bit more challenging but I'm trying to be philosophical about it :) Gives me lots of time to improve before next years effort!

     
  • At Sun Aug 07, 06:14:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good on you, Robert S; that was a really good run & you must be very pleased with that time, especially with a crowded start.

    "No pain & lots of gain; flying in 6 months time"...has to be the way to go! Enjoy the conference & get some rest at the same time maybe!

     
  • At Mon Aug 08, 10:43:00 am AEST, Blogger allrounder said…

    good run Robert...i'm getting preared to do my own dodging and weaving at the start of C2S this weekend...i don't think i'll run as strongly as you did though!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home