Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Half Marathon Time Trial

21.1k 1:37:15. HR Avg 171 Max 182
Course: Qld Half Marathon Doomben.
Start Time: 7:00 am Temp 15 - 19C.
Session Type: Time Trial

Finally feel I am 99% over my cold. The plan for today's race was to try to run at 1:38 pace (4:40m/k) or slower if this was not comfortable. I did not want this to be a 100% effort as I wanted to be able train strongly this coming week in preparation for Gold Coast. Under no circumstances was I to try dig deep and "race" anybody over the last few ks.

The race got underway in nice cool conditions ( for an afternoon trainer like me anyway). I was bit suprised when I got to the 1K marker in 4:25. A little faster than I wanted to go so thought I should slow down a little even though it felt very easy. I was more suprised at the 2K marker, when I had speed up to 4:20 pace on the second K. I definetly had to slow down! Managed to get to 4:35 pace by 3K and basically kept that pace till halfway where I turned in 48:05. Managed to latch onto another runner and together we did 4:30 ks till the 15k mark. Then started to slow a little and started doing 4:40 pace. The guy I was running with was trying for 1:36 and stepped it up a little around 18k but in keeping with my pre-race promise, I did not try to match him at this point and was satisfied to do a few 4:48 m/k before speeding up slightly in the last K.

A very pleasing finishing time of 1:37:15. I didn't mind the course. I know people who hate it. It is flat and boring and a bit rough in a few places and the constant turn arounds don't help your rhythm. But lots of water stations and all well manned (and womaned).

My time was 4 min 5 seconds faster than my Previous Half Time Trial six weeks ago and done with a slightly lower average Heart Rate. 1:35 now looks to be the logical target for Gold Coast and I am pretty confident with three weeks training and an easy taper week I will give it a good shake.

3 Comments:

  • At Sun June 05, 11:46:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    You're right on target, Robert, for a good GC run; great run for you today.

    I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting, would you like a tape recording of "Kismet"? Jim said he'd be glad to make one for you & I could bring it with me for the GC marathon; I'm sure we'll get a chance to meet up, but if not, I could leave it with someone you would normally see or run with. Let me know; I'd love you to hear it.

     
  • At Mon June 06, 10:52:00 am AEST, Blogger Chelle said…

    Excellent pacing, its so tempting to run fast just because someone near you is. Almost everyone I spoke to yesterday got to the first and second k markers quicker than they meant to, I know I did! :)

     
  • At Tue June 07, 10:31:00 pm AEST, Blogger Ewen said…

    Good pacing Robert. We might be in the same crowd of runners at the Gold Coast - will look out for you. I'll be the one with the black eye... LL is still annoyed that I'm not running the 'full'. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home