Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, May 29, 2005

10k Time Trial

10k 43:07. HR Avg 173 Max 184
Course: BRRC 10k West End.
Start Time: 6:30am Temp 17C.
Session Type: Time Trial

My soar throat felt better yesterday though still not compelety gone. I had been looking forward to doing the BRRC 10k as a time trial so decided to see how I woke up on Sunday morning and make a decision then whether to run or not. On waking, my throat seemd fine but still felt a little heavy in the head but made the decision to have a go anyway.

I had done 46:07 six weeks ago on the same course at the end of my base conditioning phase, so was pretty sure I could better that time today. Started quite quickly with a 4:13 first K , then settled into 4:22 pace going through halfway in 21:43.
Kept that pace up over the next four Ks, before upping the tempo in the last K to come home in 21:24 for the second half, and an over all time of 43:07 (avg 4:18 pace).

That is three minutes better than six weeks ago, so the training plan is coming together nicely. The week after the last 10k, I did 1:41 in the Lest We Forget Half. Considering my time today and with 5 more weeks to go till the Half, I think 1:35 is within my reach at the Gold Coast.

3 Comments:

  • At Sun May 29, 02:43:00 pm AEST, Blogger Hannah said…

    Great time! I didn't see you today, but then you'd have been miles ahead of me anyway *grins*

    It was great running weather today, wasnt it? A nice morning all round!

     
  • At Mon May 30, 07:52:00 am AEST, Blogger Tesso said…

    Great run Robert! Looking good for the Gold Coast.

    Hey, I had have known you were there I would've hunted you down ... come and say hello next time.

     
  • At Tue May 31, 07:39:00 pm AEST, Blogger Unknown said…

    That's terrific, Robert! Gold Coast will go well for you at this rate. Is the sore throat the result of too much singing from the musicals? Look forward to meeting you in a few weeks' time! LL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home