Robert Song's Running

I'm over 50 and been running off and on since 1968. I have run everything from 800m to 10k on the track, to half marathons (PB 1:21 Brisbane 1993) and marathons (PB 2:53 Gold Coast 1985).

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Half Marathon Time Trial

21.1k 1:41:20. HR Avg 173 Max 185
Course: Brisbane Half Marathon.
Start Time: 6:30am Temp 22 - 26C.
Session Type: Time Trial

Ater last Sunday's 10k Time Trial, this morning it was on to the Brisane Lest We Forget Half Marathon to get an idea where I am endurance wise. My aim was to go out at 5m/k till 16k and hopefully feel good enough to up the pace or at least maintain the pace for a time of around 1:45.


My Wife and I left home at 5.30 am. I was unable to convince any of the kids to get up that early to come and watch. A nice cool time of the morning. Arrived at Southbank in time to see the Marathon runners start at 6.00am.

The Half started at 6.30am and I should have tried to get a little closer to the front. It was very crowded on the narrow paths trough Southbank and so did a leiseurly but somewhat treacherous 5:35 first K. As the pack slowly thinned, tried to pick up the pace but still could only manage 4:55 on the narrow paths for the second K.

Finally could get some rhythm and space and managed the next 8k in 4:40 to go past 10k 47:55. I found the running into the sun back from The Regaata quite hot and it was lovely to reach the shade and breeze under the freeway.

Turned left into the Gardens through a little hilly section. On one uphill, there was a wonderful lady there with a cowbell shouting "This is not a hill, this is not a hill". Then back over the Goodwill Bridge. It seemed much steeper then when crossing it the first time. Got to 14k in 67:20. I was feeling pretty comfortable with the pace. I was well under my 5m/k pace but there were doubts about whether I had gone too hard early. It was about here, I looked at my Heart Rate for the first time and I was at 180 which is awfully close to my Max. Decided to just maintain a steady pace to the 18k mark and raise the pace from there. This stretch of the river was much cooler than the otherside. Managed 4:44 pace to 3k to go. Then I changed down a gear and did the next 3k at 4:36 pace. What a great feeling it is to be finishing strongly and passing lots of people at this point in a race.

A sharp right and left through the tunnel and the last 200m to finish in front of me. I was still feeling like I had more left in me so kicked it down again and managed 3:18 pace in the last 100m (and a MAx HR of 188) and a final time of 1:41.20.

I couldn't be more pleased with my run. With over two months training till the Gold Coast, some faster running and a taper I believe somewhere under sub 1:38 is possible.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home